Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Champ 100 Intake mess

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Champ 100 Intake mess

My son's yfm100 had been running great with its new top end. It was a bit wet for a few days and he's learning how to [as my 4 year old has coined it] "Squirt Dirt." I had him hose the mud off the machine, showing where to be careful so he didn't get it in the wrong place. As it turns out, it got there anyway.

The breather hose/tube from the filter box to the carb is old dry and has shrunken to the point where it can't really do its job. Also the lid on the airbox is questionable as to whether or not it can be sealed. The two, small inlet ports are right near the front tires. What I'm trying to say is, I want to improve/upgrade the system. We live in a wet area and this will be ongoing.

Has anyone done anything with one of these older quads? I thought about pvc/abs set up with a couple Ferncos where needed. I'd like to put a filter [maybe like a UNI-type] inside the airbox but, set in the middle where mud and water can't reach. He's not going through deep mud with the thing, just splashing around on occasion.

Any suggestions would help. I have an idea but since I don't have hands-on experience with changing intake set-ups, maybe a few pointers would help me along.

Thanks.