Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 kodiak 450 fuel leak from overflow tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 kodiak 450 fuel leak from overflow tube

Recently my kodiak started dripping fuel out of the overflow tube. It does this while sitting in the garage...it's not a fast leak but a slow drip, and the garage stinks like gasoline. What can I do to fix this? Any ideas appreciated!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default gas leak

I had the same problem on an 04 bruin after a ride. You can do two things first off. Turn the gas off and run stil she quits. This will drain the bowl. Or tap on the side if the carb with a screw driver. The float is stuck and its letting fuel flow into the carb and not shutting it off. Hopefully this will loosen up the float and it will stop. If it doesnt stop leaking you will have to take apart the carb and find out why its stuck.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

This was just happening with my 03. I did some searching in here (the forum) and found a few tests to do.

First off I cleaned the carb fully with carb cleaner, just incase something was stuck in the needle valve. Then I put it back in and it still leaked. (This was before seraching the forum)

Since then I've found the spec for float hieght and read how to test the needle valve. First off check your float height, you measure with the carb upside down, from the gasket mating surface of the bowl to the top of the floats. Mine was .365". Spec is .51". So that means I'm getting too much fuel in the bowl, I bent the tab on the float and got the floats to sit right at the spec (actually they are .53" but very close IMO). Then I flipped the carb right side up, and had my Dad hold the floats 'closed' at .53" and used a syringe to squirt gas into the fuel pickup of the carb. No fuel leaked so that told me the needle valve should be ok.

Thats as far as I have gotten, that was Sunday and I had to travel back downstate for work. Dad was going to put the carb in and hopefully run it tonight. I'll update with what he finds. Hopefully it stops leaking.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tips guys. You know what I checked out the fuel selector switch and it was set on reserve, even tho the quad is pretty full of fuel. I moved it off reserve and when I did I heard a little click..not sure what that was, but the garage no longer stinks like gas..so perhaps having left it on reserve could have caused this?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure on that one. But I just heard from my Dad. The float height must have been the issue. It hasn't leaked any fuel since he put the carb back in last night.

Hopefully your fix was that easy!

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Well turns out that wasn't the fix.

It was leak free for a couple days then this morning it started leaking again.

So I guess I'm going to replace the needle valve. This is depressing....