Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster w/only reverse

Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster w/only reverse

I have a 1989 blaster w/only reverse, replaced the flywheel key and torqued down. Started on 2nd kick so I dout it sheared or spun. Does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chevyayers
I have a 1989 blaster w/only reverse, replaced the flywheel key and torqued down. Started on 2nd kick so I dout it sheared or spun. Does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks
Sounds like the old Husqvarna bikes at the races.... they'd kick 'em started and rev,.... when the gates dropped, some of the Husqy riders went the wrong way.....

Mine never goes reverse..... Sounds like the compression rolled it over the wrong way when it fired.... Is the flywheel all you've changed? Is the Stator plate the original or an after market one? Has there been any cylinder/head work done?

Any one of those could be messin' with ya, maybe more.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't change the flywheel or the stator they should still be factory just the woodruff key a crap load of time it kept shearing and now it doesn't. I did put new rings in it. It was bored 30over sometime before I got it. I have removed all lights, tors, only have bareminimal wires left. If I pulled the cylinder head what would I be looking for? I'm pretty sure that it isn't a woodruff key. Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't change the flywheel or the stator they should still be factory just the woodruff key a crap load of time it kept shearing and now it doesn't. I did put new rings in it. It was bored 30over sometime before I got it. I have removed all lights, tors, only have bareminimal wires left. If I pulled the cylinder head what would I be looking for? I'm pretty sure that it isn't a woodruff key. Thanks
There's a problem..... Shearing the Key is a sign of some other issues. Bored 30 over shouldn't be a big deal, Piston installed right? (probably wouldn't run if it was in backward)..... Check that key again,... Timing issues would cause that for sure,..... You didn't install one of those offset, Advanced keys did you?

When you pull the flywheel to check it out, look and see if there are slots for mounting the stator plate. It could be an adjustable one,.... it might cause problems if it's adjusted wrong..... a lot of little picky items to go back and check..... but shearing that key would bother me a lot.... like there's something way loose.... like the flywheel....

Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

i havent sheared a key in awhile so i would cross that out. I think at first when i was messing w/the stator i wasn.t realy tighting down the nut ( on off on off ect ) testing wires alot of electrical issues. piston I believe is in right arrow fwd. the stator is eighter 180 off w/no spark or true w/spark no timing mark or advancement. Thank you keep the ideas coming please. (what about the cdi firing then jump spark (cross connection)or something inside to cause this issue? I dont have $100 just to throw at it or I would.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I got it running last night I had to retard the stator 90deg or so. I find that wierd conciderly that blaster really dont have timing it's eighter on or off 180. Any ideas why I had to do this. Thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

So I got it running last night I had to retard the stator 90deg or so. I find that wierd conciderly that blaster really dont have timing it's eighter on or off 180. Any ideas why I had to do this. Thanks
How in the world do you retard one 90 degrees? Mine has (factory plate) one place to set it. I have seen after market Adjustable ones that will go maybe 12-15 degrees..... But nothing that will give a 90 degree twist.

I'm just curious.... Did you happen to take pictures to show how this works?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is not mine, but picture where the red line is I drilled a hole and that is where my top screw is all but 90deg. Why what I have to do this to make it run?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

something most likely got switched around in the wrong place during rebuild, putting something outta time.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah,..... something is way out on that one then..... I'm kinda partial to pulling things apart and making them right instead of drilling and putting new holes in something like that......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blaster w/only reverse