Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how do you change the engine oil and filter on a 2002 yamaha warrior 350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you change the engine oil and filter on a 2002 yamaha warrior 350?

i just brought it yesterday and i went to the store and i brought 3 quarts of yamalube and a filter i need to know how and where is the oil filter located at on a warrior 350.
btw before yall start bashing me(lol)this is my first atv and i just ordered a service book for it but it wont get here untill a week.
thank you

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

The oil filter is located on the left of the engine under a small cover held on by three allen headed bolts.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would we bash you? thats a good question from a new rider/owner that wants to maintain his own machine.
You will find the filter housing just in front of the right foot perch, it has 3 metric allen head bolts holding it in, on the bottom front of the motor. Be sure to note the way the filter comes out, it goes in only one way, the check valve in there needs to be on the filter cover side. The drain plug is on the bottom of the case, about the center of the motor, a big aluminum flange bolt looking thing. This can be VERY tight, depending on who owned it before, and is easy to round off, make sure you have the correct 6 point metric socket for it, I think it is 19 mm, dont hold me to that. This will have a screen and spring in it, make sure your hold it in while unthreading it so you can see how it comes out, it has to go back in the same way, it is a pre filter to catch big chunks before they get sucked into your oil pump. you will get oil all over your hands, so some cheap disposable nitrile (rubber) gloves are nice to have. Let it drain out good, put the cleaned steel screen and spring back in the drain hole, if you have the factory oil filter, it is stainless mesh, and can be cleaned and reused. Put in the oil, takes just under 3 quarts, between 2.5-2.9 if i remember correctly. The next step is in the manual, but messy, there is an 8 mm bolt up on the head, just above the intake, it taps into the oil passage, you are supposed to loosen it and start the motor, and if it doesnt start oozing out in 10 sec or less, shut off motor and make sure oil level is correct. It drips all over the coolin fins, you need to stuff rags in there, i stopped doing it, got tired of the cleanup. As long as you dont let it sit empty for days, the oil pump should prime just fine. A big paragraph for a simple oil change, but I am just trying to cover the bases. Good luck and enjoy your new quad.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoisyPoPo
The oil filter is located on the left of the engine under a small cover held on by three allen headed bolts.
GOOD CATCH !!, I keep thinking in terms of my Wolverine, same motor, bottom end is a little different, oil filter is on the oposite side, thank you NoisyPoPo. the rest of the oil change is the same, though !!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright thanks guys i didnt change it today because i did not have the right size socket to remove the oil drain bolt so i didnt want to use a wrench and strip it
and the reason why i thought i was going to get bashed is because a couple weeks ago i was on a yamaha blaster fourm and a guy asked the same question and everyone jumped on him.idk i think i was jus parinoid lol

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

you may need more oil. we dont bash, welcome to the scene