Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999 Yamaha Bear Tracker/Timberwolf Timing. Please Help

Old 07-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Yamaha Bear Tracker/Timberwolf Timing. Please Help

I have tried to search and find the info i need but im just not understanding it right. Im trying to set the timing on my Bear Tracker, the problem is i dont think my marks are lining up right. I have the T mark on the flywheel lined up with the sight whole but the marks on my Cam Sprocket dont line up with the timing arrow. Am i looking at this right? Please look at the pics to see what you think. Thanks

Yamaha Bear Tracker Tming Marks pictures by Sgt_Morrow81 - Photobucket

Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Please somebody look at this. I really need help.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok the 'T" on flywheel should be align with case mark in window[PISTON TDC] and the cam spocket mark is up at TDC of the camshaft, so that means that the lopes on cam should be pointing down so they are no loads on rockers , you may want loosen or remove cam chain tenioner this will help the chain to be loose so you can rotate chain to get correct timing, you also may notice when timing that the marks are not perfect prolly off an half tooth so that is the best that can be done, can,t time an half tooth, after timing is correct install tenioner back,,,Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Looking at the pics that ive posted. My cam is out of time. So how did it get that far out of time. It looks like its 4 or 5 teeth off. And i bought this atv brand new and it's never been worked on. I dont understand how it can be off that much. And i dont think the chain could've stretched that much.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Does atv crank and run good? why was you checking timing? I cant see how engine runs good without kicking back or hard starting, yes chain can stretch that much if your tensioner is stuck But may not run at this timing location. I guess would loosen or remove tensioner and re time back to correct spot. First if cam chain loose before you remove it, i guess i would readjust chain to see if chain is bad but dont rotate engine any more with electric start it could cause value damage....Waiting to hear back from you.....Good Luck.....

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ran like crap!!! had no bottom end power at all. If i was on a incline even as low as 15 degree it would not even go up it at all atv would set there and surge. So i wanted to check the timing and rocker arms.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, How do i set the Cam Tenn, on this ATv. am i supposed to tighten the Tenn bolt (Middle Bolt) or what? What is the proper way is what im asking? Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

I remove the middle bolt and spring from the tensioner. The plunger has to be reset back into the tensioner housing by releasing the ratchet pawl. After aligning the crank and cam marks install the tensioner housing without the spring and bolt. After installing the housing put the spring and bolt in the tensioner. The plunger will extend out and push the chain tensioner against the chain.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thats fine Sgt. just asking questions trying to help.... Sisco is correct on tensioner installion... sounds like it jumped time and maybe just re-time and adjust chain tight again should be fine....Good Luck.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do you remove the Spring for the tenn, And why do you need to remove the spring? And what is the ratchet pawl? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Yamaha Bear Tracker/Timberwolf Timing. Please Help