Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP!!! Yamaha 400 oil leak guestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Yamaha 400 oil leak guestion

I have ran into a problem. I am 26 year woman that recently bought a 400 big bear 4x4 2007. It has dripping leak. I do not know anything about how to fix something like this so I took it to a guy that a friend recomended that works as a mechanic at a local atv shop. He does some small stuff on the side. He told me I had a gasket leak on the left side of the engine and it would cost $80 to fix. The previous owner put to much oil in it and caused the leak is what he told me. So it gets time to pick it up and he calls me and says it has another leak at the back of the engine that will require him to take half the engine off to fix quotes a price around $800. He says the first seal fixed 2/3 of the problem but this second spot leaks to. So i asked him what plan B was he said he could buff it out and put some sealant on it to halfway fix it but it would still have seapage and if i ran it hard it would get worse. My guestion is is this guy running a game on me?? I sold my first four wheeler because I got tired of being taken advantage of so I am very suspicous at this point. I would appreciate any help or sugestions.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Not saying he's lying but the things he is telling you are very unlikely..

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Second Opinion

Originally Posted by eowyn03us
I have ran into a problem. I am 26 year woman that recently bought a 400 big bear 4x4 2007. It has dripping leak. I do not know anything about how to fix something like this so I took it to a guy that a friend recomended that works as a mechanic at a local atv shop. He does some small stuff on the side. He told me I had a gasket leak on the left side of the engine and it would cost $80 to fix. The previous owner put to much oil in it and caused the leak is what he told me. So it gets time to pick it up and he calls me and says it has another leak at the back of the engine that will require him to take half the engine off to fix quotes a price around $800. He says the first seal fixed 2/3 of the problem but this second spot leaks to. So i asked him what plan B was he said he could buff it out and put some sealant on it to halfway fix it but it would still have seapage and if i ran it hard it would get worse. My guestion is is this guy running a game on me?? I sold my first four wheeler because I got tired of being taken advantage of so I am very suspicous at this point. I would appreciate any help or sugestions.
I would take it somewhere and get another opinion before I spent 800 bucks on a quad that should have only cost you a couple/few thousand to begin with. A shop that actually has a reputation to uphold will be honest with you and shouldn't charge too much to just look at it...I have the same quad that you are talking about...but a 2008...it has 1700 miles and I have never seen any oil issues...get a second opinion!
Mudslinger2

Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

its got around 1500 miles on it. I was doing some research and found that a little bit of seapage on the valve is normal for a engine that is broke in. This same guy offered to fix this problem at a later date for a reduced labor fee after the first of the year. None of it makes any sense to me. I bought this four wheeler just to deer hunt and help round up livestock so its not gonna be used in rough situations. There arent many shops around me and being a woman I tend to get overcharged. I think i am gonna get my atv

Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Expensive

Originally Posted by eowyn03us
its got around 1500 miles on it. I was doing some research and found that a little bit of seapage on the valve is normal for a engine that is broke in. This same guy offered to fix this problem at a later date for a reduced labor fee after the first of the year. None of it makes any sense to me. I bought this four wheeler just to deer hunt and help round up livestock so its not gonna be used in rough situations. There arent many shops around me and being a woman I tend to get overcharged. I think i am gonna get my atv
I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but what makes you so sure that you are constantly getting taken advantage of? I can tell you that ANYONE that takes a quad, car, truck, bike...anything to a shop is getting taken advantage of. I got a quote from a shop to do front wheel bearings for over $250 bucks...I did it myself for 42 bucks in parts and about an hour and a half or less for my labor. If you can find any dealership that will do any labor for less than 50-60/hour you are getting a deal. Quads are a toy and if you want to play...you have to pay. The labor is what kills you at a shop and it always costs more than you think it should...whether you are a man, woman, or child.