Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

any one got a durablue banshee axel on there raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a durablue banshee axel form a freind that he never used.i removed the stock axel and the threads for the axel nuts are differnt,any one else ran into this?the stock raptor axel seems to have finer threads.

Old 03-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

i had one and it broke, i am still waiting for a new one,durablue is in the process of redesigning a axel just for the raptor to cure this problem, the axel nut has to be machined to work,i got one that i don't need e-mail me.

Old 03-11-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

cant you just use stock banshee nuts?

Old 03-11-2001, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

I ordered a Raptor Durablue From Moto Man and they sent me a Banshee one. I doesnt fit and I'm pist now what do i do send it back and have them get me a Raptor axel?

Old 03-11-2001, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

I have a Shee axle on my quad. The only difference was the axle bolt. It had to be shaved 1/8 inch. It fits perfectly on mine. I would rather have the Shee 2+2 axle because it starts off one inch wider than the Raptor.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42t rear, 12t front, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Old 03-11-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Kyraptor when u got the directions with your axel, did it say Banshee?Blaster Installation on the paper?

Old 03-11-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

I installed a DuraBlue X-33 on my Raptor without any problems. The axle came with the Posi-Lock nut and it looked awesome. The paper instruction only mentioned Banshee and Blaster, but the box it came with had Raptor/Banshee on it. Keep in mind the axle nut for Banshee is on left where Raptor is on the right, so you kind of have to swap sides when reading the instructions.

This is a 2+2 axle, and since Banshee axle is 3" wider than Raptor, it gave me a whopping 7" increase in width measured at 49 1/2"!!! I think the right-side is 1/2" wider than left, but you can' really tell unless you get a tape measure.

Old 03-12-2001, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone on this board should know by now that the ONLY company currently making an axle specifically designed for the Raptor is Lonestar. Every one else is just modifying a Banshee axle.

Old 03-12-2001, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

Raptorboy660r,

The instructions were for a blaster/banshee. The axle nut when installed put one side wider than the other. DuraBlue sent me another bolt and it worked perfectly.

I hear many on this site promoting LoneStar axles. Don't get me wrong LoneStar makes good products. I have A-Arms from LoneStar. But they are not any better than DuraBlue. The DuraBlue will break before the LoneStar because the DuraBlue has a higher tinsel strength. But if the DuraBlue breaks the LoneStar will bend. Most racers like the bend because they can finish the race hobbling around.

Axle companies will try and straigten a bent axle and send it back, where a broke one you will get a new one.

Most serious racers, with LSR axles, buy two because the season will be over before they ship you another axle. Typically a two month wait.

Just thought the other side of the coin should be looked at.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42t rear, 12t front, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Old 03-12-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

KyRaptor,

Lonestar states in their warranty that they will (in most cases) repair or replace it in 1 day from the date that they receive the damaged axle. Ask DStevens how long he's been waiting to have his Durablue replaced. I know from his posts that he's been waiting at least several weeks for Durablue to get a good one back to him.

I would really like to see some hard data on the tensil strength issue. It seems that Dura-blue puts them through a heat-treat process that ultimatley causes them to be hard, but brittle. Heat-treat can be a great thing, I know, we put most of the turbine engine parts through a heat-treat process at work, but if done incorrectly, it can cause problems.

I'm not sure of Lonestar's machining and heat process, but in the end, comparing the warranty of each will identify who has genuine confidence in their product. After the first replacement, Durablue either starts charging on a pro-rated basis, or worse, states that they have fulfilled their obligation of replacing the 1st axle that was purchased. I've yet to hear of anyone that has a complaint with Lonestar's warranty. (if there are any experienced racers out there, please give us input on each)

Also, on the bending vs. breaking issue. After making a high-speed double jump and you come down for a landing, which would be better, a bent and wobbling axle, or a losing a wheel and half of your axle as they pass you up? Don't laugh, I've saw it happen. Fortunately, the rider was able to salvage the landing as well as possible, but many times, losing a wheel unexpectedly would cause a major crash.

I too am not trying to get into a flame war over axles, I just thought I'd show the other side of the coin as you stated.

For recreational riding, either axle will probably last for a lifetime. I could have gone with either one, but a guy that I know who races a 250r suggested that if I wanted to be sure that I never had an axle problem, to spend the extra money on a Lonestar. Also, I didn't want the extra width of the the Banshee Dura-blue axle on my Raptor or the headache of having to use a special nut to get the spacing right. 4" over fits just perfect for the woods riding that I do. On a track such as you (KyRaptor) race on, the +5" may be a real benefit.

PS.. KyRaptor,
Wish you could have went to Turkey Bay with us. We rode about 30 miles of trails on Saturday. Fortunately, none of us came away with any damage.

There were a couple of unlucky souls who did damage theirs. One guy with us on a Polaris rolled it 2 different times. Another group of riders had a guy on a warrior try to go up that very long, very steep hill that is about 300ft long. You may know it, it goes up and then takes a right turn as you go up. Anyway, the guy lost it and it barrel rolled until it T-boned a good size tree. It pretty much trashed his quad, bent frame, bars, plastic, lights, knocked the tires off the wheels and etc...

There was a DS there, I'd like to have saw you and him line up for a race. I think that your uncorked and piped Raptor would put on a good showing for the Yamaha guys.

Quick Reply: any one got a durablue banshee axel on there raptor?