Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with Carb Please

Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Carb Please

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my 09 wolverine 350 (2wd)... It is only about 8 months old and I have only put about 8 to 10 hours of use on it (if that).. Any way I took it to the dealer for its first service and because I could not get it to run out of choke, and barley in choke. Any way the tech said that the carb was gummed up due to gas sitting in it for several months w/o use... Any way they wanted to charge me almost 200 dollars to clean the carb which i declined. I attempted several times to clean the carb my self.. I took the carb out.. removed the Diaphram, the bowl.. the jets.. all of the tubing ect.. I completley cleaned out the entire carb and then reassembled everything... This helped out alot but I am still having similar problems. Now it runs about 99% better while on choke. It starts right up on the first try no problems, how ever in choke ever 30 seconds or so i can hear a miss from the exhaust. When I it take off of choke and let it idle it will run for 30 seconds or so and then it sputters out. When I drive it it runs fine as long as I am accelerating.. If i drop it back to idle it will cut off after a few min of idleing.. Oh also if i give it gas and then slowly release the throttle it sounds fine.. If i give it gas and then let off of the throttle quickly it makes a bunch of small back fire sounds (almost sounds like Pop Corn).. any way, I have cleaned the plug as well.. and I have repeated the carb clean about 4x.. Am I missing anything??? please help?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pilot jet is partly plugged, it supplies fuel to the idle circuit, thats why it will run on choke, and accelerate, then you are in the main jet once your are about 1/4 or so into the throttle. You will need to pull the carb again, make sure the pilot jet and all the little holes on the sides and the tiny one in the end is open. I had a plugged one on a 300ex, had to yank a wire from a wire brush and use that to rod out the tiny holes,then put the carb cleaner straw into the port the jet goes into and make sure you get spray out into the carb throat. I always put the straw on the jet and make sure it sprays out freely there as well. After I did that, the 300 fired up and idled perfect.