Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

big bear clutch probs!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big bear clutch probs!!

lads i was given an old 350 big bear that wasnt running but now is! the problem i'm having is that im getting clutch slip when giving it gas, i've changed the oil and adjusted the freeplay but its still doing it, it shifts lovely so i'm steering away from the wet clutch and thinking centrifugal clutch? if its worn is there anywhere i can get new bits from aside buying one from yamaha at $600+ thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it slipping before or after you changed oil? did you use a JASO (motorcycle/wet clutch rated oil) and not car oil? Lots of automotive grade oils have friction modifiers that will cause clutch slip in ATVs. If it was slipping bad before the oil, then you are probably looking in the right direction of the cent. clutch or even a badly worn clutch pack. The only thing to do now is to open it up and see,(tilt the ATV to the left to keep oil in motor, or just drain it out, probably a good idea to flush out a motor that has been sitting). You can check eBay for new and used parts, or places like Parts Unlimited, Dennis Kirk, etc. for replacement parts cheaper than the dealer. At most, you will need clutch plates, or shoes for the centrifical, as long as the springs are not broken, they should be good to re use.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

it was slipping before i did an oil change and i made sure i used an oil without the slippy additive as i got caught with that before!!! might just open it up and have a look see, a clutch pack is cheap so might just change it out any way. didnt think that you could get just the shoes for the cent clutch? if you can could you post a link to where?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Long time ago, i broke a spring in my cent. clutch pack, tore up the shoes, got them from the Yamaha dealer, I'm sure you could google Yamaha parts and find them online pretty reasonable.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i've found a few centrifical clutches on ebay BUT they are for the 400cc not my 350cc version, any one know wether the 400 will fit the 350?? i hope so because they are only $90 complete!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok its definately the centrifugal clutch, took it out today and the 4 shoes are fubar cant seem to find any new anywhere except genuine for near $600 i rang the yamaha dealer here in ireland and he couldnt even tell me if he could get one let alone how much.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

parts unlimited and dennis kirk dont list anything either

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try www.partforyamaha.com or any online store that sale OEM parts. Your best bet is to order only the parts that are worn and rebiuld it.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

good site alright but still only sell the whole clutch assy $300 inc shipping to ireland.....
my clutch is so worn that the springs have nearly worn through the holes in the shoes!!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Look at it this way, you have zero dollars tied up in it so far, 300 for parts to get it going and having a working quad is not bad at all. If someone gave me a quad, and all it needed was 300 to get it running and moving, it would be a deal to me !!

Quick Reply: big bear clutch probs!!