Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

much needed help with 02 660r

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default much needed help with 02 660r

ok guys so im new here but am in need of a lot of help. i just bought my 02 raptor 660r a couple days ago. the guy said the carbs are jetted with a stage 2 jet dont know the make. its got a full white brothers R4 series exhaust an K&N air filter. he brought it to me started it up an it ran fine. so i got it an let it site for about a week an went to finally ride it. i started it up it idled high with choke on then i got off for a minute to shut my door an it shut off. i went to try to start it but it would not start back up. the electric start was pushin but the battery was obviously dead. so i jumped it with a car an after like 20 minutes i got it started. rode it through the woods for a little but when i hit a puddle it steamed an bogged out. the guy said that theres a part that cant get wet or neeeds to stay dry an i forgot. but then tryin to start it my battery went dead again. got picked up by a friend of mine. put it on a trickle charger over night next day went to start it an 1st time it started right up without the choke so i just started driving it down the street. after getting into 2nd gear about to shift into 3rd it just died down an shut off?!! idky why i was just on the street cruisin. after a while of tryin to start it it backfired a couple times while using the electric start. everytime i use it the oil light comes on. for one this battery i have is **** cause i can barely use the electric start without it dying. but after sitting for 30 minutes i shifted it to first then back to neutral an tried starting it. it started then idled really high. i went to move forwards an did a little then just shut off. it runs fine but after hittin that puddle it seems weird. maybe a spark plug is bad or wet? maybe its flooded? maybe im low on oil or its bad fuel or something i have noe idea!! that why i came here. i really want to get her up an runnin without problems again!! thanks in advance!!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

make sure you didnt get water in your airbox... and i just had an issue with my warrior... it was running good.. then while driving it started to bog and die.. had no power.. kept stalling.. got it home and started it again and it idled really high... complete opposite as earlier that day when it was bogging.. so i took the carb off.. cleaned it and it was allset after that.. full power; good idle; no problems at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I was having similar problems with my atv when I hit puddles, it would bog on me some. I noticed that the air vent for the belt, the rubber hose came off where the metal strap holds it on. I also was told that the fuel line has a one way valve to allow over flow to flow out and that if the valve goes bad (which has a history of with many people) water can get into it. But I didn't think that was making it bog just from hitting a puddle. I used to be able to submerge the atv and it would run perfect, so after getting that problem with the belt snorkle line fixed at the yamaha dealership and some other problems I had, I decided to snorkle a line that came from the carb which basically just went as far as where the pull start housing was. I also snorkled the over flow line, but you have to disconnect it and make sure there is no over flow accumulating in the line or else it will back fill your air box like it did mine. Any how, my atv is all back to perfect and I can take on deep water and submerge it again like I used to without any bogging issues.

With blinking light issues. One can mean that you are low on oil, try adding some oil and see if that doesn't do the trick for you. Yamaha has an auto shut off feature if you get low on oil. Basically the engine will start running like crap and bog and back fire if you give it gas cause you are low on oil. Happened to me when I was riding with friends in PA. We were riding for hours and then all of the sudden my atv started slowing down and back fired and the dash was blinking red or yellow on one of the gear indicators lights. It then stalled and would not turn over, so I allowed it to cool down and then it started and I rode it back to my truck slowly which was like 2 miles away. I added some oil and it was all good to go. I had recently had it at the dealer to get some work and after market mods installed and they had to drain the oil, but didn't put enough in like usuall.