Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha blaster help please!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha blaster help please!!!!!!

ok i just completely rebuilt my race ready 1999 yamaha blaster. it has a 68.25mm weisco piston and rings kit. it was bored out to fit this piston. it has a 3mm vitos stroker crank with connecting rod. fmf fatty gold series head pipe with a pro circuit silencer. stock carb with a 300 main jet and a stock 32.5 pilot jet. i cant get it to run right. i have the needle clip in the 3rd position and the air screw 2 quarters back. im eventually gonna upgrade the carb but for right now i wanna ride. it fires up on 1 kick everytime. it revs out perfect. once motor is hot it rides good. but 1st 2nd and 3rd gear ride smooth any higher gear it will bog down sometimes and i dont know why. not sure if it is running too rich or lean. im running the air box with an open lid with a new airfilter. theres no air leaks i have dual stage boyesen reeds. noticed a small space between one is that why? is it suppose to smoke a little out of the pipe at idle and when you ride? any help would be greatly appreciated on adjusting the carb and all thanks. and im also running 32:1 amsoil dominator racing oil mix and really good tk gear oil

Last edited by quadsportfreak666; 09-28-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: had to add
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by quadsportfreak666
ok i just completely rebuilt my race ready 1999 yamaha blaster. it has a 68.25mm weisco piston and rings kit. it was bored out to fit this piston. it has a 3mm vitos stroker crank with connecting rod. fmf fatty gold series head pipe with a pro circuit silencer. stock carb with a 300 main jet and a stock 32.5 pilot jet. i cant get it to run right. i have the needle clip in the 3rd position and the air screw 2 quarters back. im eventually gonna upgrade the carb but for right now i wanna ride. it fires up on 1 kick everytime. it revs out perfect. once motor is hot it rides good. but 1st 2nd and 3rd gear ride smooth any higher gear it will bog down sometimes and i dont know why. not sure if it is running too rich or lean. im running the air box with an open lid with a new airfilter. theres no air leaks i have dual stage boyesen reeds. noticed a small space between one is that why? is it suppose to smoke a little out of the pipe at idle and when you ride? any help would be greatly appreciated on adjusting the carb and all thanks. and im also running 32:1 amsoil dominator racing oil mix and really good tk gear oil
What have you done to figure out the problem?
New plug?
Fresh gas?
have you done a plug chop?
Clean air filter?
Clean carb?
Compression check?
what do u mean small space in the reeds? where they normally open or is one cracked?
Have you tried a different main jet?
Does the quad bog down at all throttles in the higher gears or only at wot?
Checked for intake or exhaust leaks?
Check out the link in my signature. I have a ton of ATV how to vids....

Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider

Is the TORS system still on it?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamaha blaster help

ive cleaned the carb several times cleaned and blew out the whole carb. the tors system is removed. fresh gas at 32:1 ratio. needle clip is now in 2nd postion. and air screw 2 quarters out. new plug new air filter. fresh bore and piston with lots of compression. when i kick it over it will now back fire out the pipe i dont know whats wrong with it. it ran fine when the needle clip was in the 3rd position and stopped then i moved it back up one. what do you mean plug chop? could my plug be fouled?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by quadsportfreak666
Ok you say you have a 3mm stroker crank in it. Did you have the port work done to match this?? The space between the reed and the reed cage if tiny is not the problem, it should smoke a little all the time, idle thru wot. But for sure you are gonna have to upgrade the carb, we are running a very simular setup in one of our blasters with these exceptions. +4mm crank (mx agressive) port, 35mm PWK carb with 46 pilot and 400 main jet. It really sounds like the porting & carb are both wrong. Hope this helps. And keep us updated

Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay heres where iam at. i bought the blaster off some guy last month he didnt say much about it he just said it was locked up so i took it apart and it needed a bore and new piston and rings. so i got the cylinder bored and honed to fit a 68.25mm piston cause the scratch was deep on the cylinder wall. i looked at the connecting rod and its a vitos 3mm stroker crank. now when i cleaned out the carb i noticed the main jet was stamped 300 and the pilot is stamped 32.5 which is stock. the main jet was upgraded to run the procircuit exhaust and fmf fatty head pipe. i started it up as is it ran great so i ran it a full tank to slowly start breaking the rings in. and it started on one kick at all times. so i noticed the bog problem and started messin with the carb and now i cant get it right and now it wont start just back fires out pipe when u kick it. normally what is the needle clip position suppose to be set at along with the air mixture screw setting? like i said im gonna upgrade the carb when i get the money but now i wanna ride and finish breaking in the rings please help. i wanna know the proper settings for carb thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ok the needle for starters should be in the middle position to start with and adjust from there, rule of thumb on the idle air mixture screw is all the way in then back it out 2 full turns. That should be your starting point on both. Let me know if this helps

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamaha blaster help

ok i bought a brand new ngk plug and it now runs great runs through all gears without bogging or dying. now the quad runs the best with the needle clip in the 3rd position from the top in the middle and the air mixture screw 1 and a half out is that okay to run that set up it runs great like that please let me know thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yea should be fine there as long as its got a little smoke coming out the pipe all the time