Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha 250 Oil Filter Cover Access

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha 250 Oil Filter Cover Access

I have started doing my own oil, oil filter, spark plug & final drive gear oil change on my 09 Yamaha Big Bear 250 2-wheel drive ATV. I am 70 & depend on my atv to bow & gun hunt deer. Like many others today, I can’t afford the $220 dealer service charge for $40 worth of parts.

I read the owner’s manual 5 times on how to change these parts. The manual is not very clear. The written directions are on page and the illustrations are on another.

So before I actually do the service, I did a hands-on dry run to see where the oil reserve, oil filter, spark plug & final drive gear oil plugs were located and what had to be removed to access them. Plus I found out exactly what tools I needed to do the job.

The oil filter cover access is the only part that has me somewhat confused. To access the oil filter cover, I had to remove the plastic foot board and metal foot rest on the right-hand side of the engine (foot brake pedal side) to access the oil filter.

There is a “Drive Select Lever System Cable” connected to the foot brake pedal by a coil spring. This cable System partially blocks access to the oil filter cover. I thought about trying to unhook the coil spring from the foot brake pedal but the manual makes no reference to doing this.

The owners manual directions say to move the Drive Select Lever Safety System Cable away from the oil filter element cover to remove the oil filter cover and element. But the directions do not state "how to move the Cable away from the oil filter cover." Again the manual makes no reference to disconnecting the coil spring from the foot brake pedal.

The directions also state "Not To Loosen the Adjusting Nuts on the Drive Select Lever Safety System Cable" when removing the oil filter element cover of the oil filter.

The only way I can move this “Cable” away without disconnecting it, is to pull & hold the cable back. The coil spring has enough give but it requires holding back the cable with one hand and the other removing the oil filter cover bolts with the other.

Can someone please tell me if this is the right way to move the Drive Select Lever Safety System Cable away from the oil filter element inorder to replace the filter ?

Joe P

Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Just take the spring off

Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

WWW;

Once again you come up with the answer. I wasn't sure if I could do that because I was concerned that it might not something out of sync. But it makes sense because the spring should not affect the setting of the cable length.

I really appreciate you taking time to help me out. This is the real USA that I grew up in and there's lots of folks around who feel the same way. Its just a shame that the folks in DC don't feel the same.

Joe p.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

Glad I could help Joe
After the first time you will say Iam never going to pay that much money to a dealership for a oil change again