Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

94 Timberwolf Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 94 Timberwolf Rear Differential

I recently came into a 94 Timberwolf, but the rear differential currently dismantled. Appears the bearing around the pinion is damaged and there is a chip out of one of the splines.

I see Ebay has some rebuilt units around $500.00

Does anyone have any knowledge in this department?

I see I could source the parts separately (ring/pinion $400, differential kit $75) but whats involved in the rebuild?

Also I've read a few threads stating Bear Tracker parts were a direct swap, others saying not correct.

Also older Moto4 parts, as I see these rear differentials going pretty reasonably.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Not to be picky, but you do mean a rear drive instead of a differential, don't you?

First place I would look for parts would be in the advertising section of a Dirtwheels magazine...there are lots of ATV junkyards that could sell and ship a complete rear drive unit if they have one.

If you were going to try the repair/rebuild yourself, I would suggest getting a factory service manual to guide you...they can usually be ordered through a parts dealer...don't waste your money on a haynes or chiltons, go for the factory manual. -Even though it's not a differential, there are still shims used to properly align a ring and pinion in a rear drive, which is not a job you should try to do unless you have had some previous experience.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Here's a link where you can find lots of parts for your 94 Timberwolf. At least it'll save you some money on that differential kit.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Cool

TexasRoadlawyer: thanks for the clarification of terms.

i'll look into the factory service manual, as i was wondering about the haynes or chiltons (been burnt there before)

as for the "rear drive" i'll probably source some more experienced help on my first time going through it. i was just curious if anyone had gone through the rebuild of a Timberwolf and had any pros/cons or recommendations.

i think it'd be better in the long run just to avoid buying someone elses used parts as i see there are tons of the same atv's out there with similiar problems.

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
Not to be picky, but you do mean a rear drive instead of a differential, don't you?

First place I would look for parts would be in the advertising section of a Dirtwheels magazine...there are lots of ATV junkyards that could sell and ship a complete rear drive unit if they have one.

If you were going to try the repair/rebuild yourself, I would suggest getting a factory service manual to guide you...they can usually be ordered through a parts dealer...don't waste your money on a haynes or chiltons, go for the factory manual. -Even though it's not a differential, there are still shims used to properly align a ring and pinion in a rear drive, which is not a job you should try to do unless you have had some previous experience.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Im pretty sure rear differential is a correct term as well as the "final drive. the parts link above calls it rear diff, i came across one of the 97 timberwolfs, it has ablown seal in the rear diff , and the guy kept riding it and of course something is broken, these thing are notorious for this i hear.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think i need the ring and pinion gears, mine wont move outta its tracks and when you roll it u can hea a knock in the rear diff. I am new to these shaft drien atvs, i have a vstar that has a final drive unit, but all i have ever done to it is put amsoil gearlube in it and roll. Anybody who has had these problems please let me know what you found.