Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 yfm80 badger starting problems.. Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 yfm80 badger starting problems.. Valves?

Hello,

This is my first time in these forums and boy am I glad to find them! I recently purchased a 96 badger that I plan on giving to my daughter for christmas.

now the problem:

When the guy brought it to my house he had to crank the starter for about 3-4 minutes before it would start. Once it had run it would fire right up every time. If i let it cool down it would be very hard to start once again. I have adjusted the valves @ .004 intake and .005 exhaust. this did not change how it starts. I have fuel, air, and spark. WHAT AM I MISSING?

Thank you for your help.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by troyschwab
Hello,

This is my first time in these forums and boy am I glad to find them! I recently purchased a 96 badger that I plan on giving to my daughter for christmas.

now the problem:

When the guy brought it to my house he had to crank the starter for about 3-4 minutes before it would start. Once it had run it would fire right up every time. If i let it cool down it would be very hard to start once again. I have adjusted the valves @ .004 intake and .005 exhaust. this did not change how it starts. I have fuel, air, and spark. WHAT AM I MISSING?

Thank you for your help.
New Spark Plug

Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to get a new plug today. Any carb adjusting tips? Maybe a starting point for turns out on idle and mixture.

Thanks again:-)

Old 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by troyschwab
I am going to get a new plug today. Any carb adjusting tips? Maybe a starting point for turns out on idle and mixture.

Thanks again:-)
Nothing special in those areas on my part.... but you could also check and clean the air filter.... All kinds of stuff could slow the start-up. Those being the most likely. (poorly adjusted coil pick-up for the ignition could cause hard start also..... bad ground somewhere (Usually at the battery).... keep on diggin'

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 AM
Range Rover

make sure your choke is working, Im not familiar with this bike but I had same problem with a Suzuki I once had, turned out choke cable was broke

Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by durabostbay
make sure your choke is working, Im not familiar with this bike but I had same problem with a Suzuki I once had, turned out choke cable was broke
The Badger has a Manual Choke lever on the Carb. I did not consider maybe the carb was not choked correctly.... I did have that problem in the colder weather too. Mine required almost full choke in cold weather. Otherwise it was pretty much a quick start once the Valve clearance was correct, and the carb was adjusted right. Recently sold it, but It's still in local memory...

I have a copy of a manual in digital format if the OP can accept a large PDF file.... I'll need a place to send it....

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Need to make sure the valvves are correct make sure they haven't sunk in to far and rocker arm is heating the spring that is where mine were at. And it was impossible to start almost but after it did start an warm up it would start fine.