Basket case 04 660 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basket case 04 660 Grizzly

I bought another wheeler today sort of.
Its a 04 miles and hours unknown.
It became stuck in a swamp, froze in overnight then a dozer hooked on to it and ripped the front bumper, rack, grill. lower ball joint all off, Frame seems ok, lower control arms are tweeked but fixable.
The it sat for 2 years, had the cdi, starter relay, and other relays removed and sold.
I have added up some 970 worth of parts I know I need. Rewind needs work, battery is gone, needs front brake shoes

I put power to the fuses and the display back lite comes on but no info shows up. Does The cdi also store the info display info such as miles and hours?
Where does does the battery power connect to besids the starter relay. The relay is gone and I can find the wire to the starter motor and from the batt to the relay but not the wire that poers up the bike from the batt.
There is a heavy black wire near there that goes back to the warn winch control at rear of the bike. but putting power to that did nothing.
Headlites work but none of the other controls , 4x4 diff lock etc have any effect hen I put power into the fuses with a probe (conected to 12v positive)
I have not tried hooing a batt to the starter motor but was told it cranked. Oil and coolant look ok. Seems to have compression. Wanted to test but my 5/8 socked won't grap the plug and a 13/16 does not go down the hole. What size is the plug?

Also looking for a link to a service manual, I'm going to need it!
Thanks
Ken

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well I got a Yami oem manual, thanks to tradebit and I see the starter relay is a power point for the machine, so once I get the new relay hopefully the electrical will come around.
Ebay has them for 1/2 of oem and also another fellow with a cdi at 35% of oem.
Hoping maybe I can find some used front end parts. Bumper and rack are spendy 175 and 150. Are there any aftermarket bumbers to replace the oem as opposed to being a add on to it?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Plug wrench 18mm should work fine..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Smile

Well it took a bit but got it all fixed.
Borrowed a cdi, battery and relay and she fired right up and sounds good. Changed oil and nothing tramatic fell out the bottom.
Another $1250 parts and running like a champ
New front bumper, used rack and hood, new grill, head lite bulbs, tail lite outer cv boots all around, wheel bearings, battery, starter relay, seat cover. Pulled front diff, tightened and lock tited yoke. Straightened shift fork and re attached it to shifting rack. All new seals, New brake pads, new lower ball joint. Pressed lower A arms straight. New skid plates.

Been out for a couple test rides now and seems pretty good. Has the dreaded front drive shaft wobble that all 660's get so going to attack that next. I have a couple fix ideas, going to try just doing the yours as they are only $100. If not I don't mind putting another 200 into it for the shaft. Seems like a solid bike
Need to change the hot grips, one is open circuit, I ordered a windshield and have some new Carlisle ATP tires to replace the mudlites. They are 1/2 worn and going on Pops 375 AC
Be under $2500 with everything above. Has 4000 miles and 560 hours and a new lease on life

Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like an almost new machine now!