Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 kodiak cold start problem(help)

Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 kodiak cold start problem(help)

Well this problem has been going on since the middle of this winter. So when i go out and try to start my atv in the cold ( 32 and anywhere below) it doesnt want to start very well. so i put the choke on it a couple turns later she starts. I let it warm up for about 2 to 3 minutes and think its ready take it off choke and it barely keep running. I put it into gear and it putters and seems to be miss firing. Had it up to a machanic and he looked it over but only thing he found was the exaust valve was loose. I just rebuilt the carb so im not really sure what is wrong with it. Should i just not use it on cold days or just let it run on choke longer like 5 to 8 minutes? Please if there is anyone with any ideas pls help me out on this. Also it never did this in the beging of this winter so idk.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Cold weather makes em run lean! Same thing on my Honda street bike even after I jumped the pilot jet up one size. You can lower the clip on the carb needle(which raises needle) which may help a little,plus depending on your model you either have a fuel/air screw(at the front bottom of the carb) or an air fuel screw towards the rear of the carb. If its at the rear you can turn in say a half turn and see if it helps(slows down air allows more fuel) If you have an air fuel screw and if its not blocked off,you can turn out in 1/4 turn increments to allow a little more fuel to the idle(pilot jet) and see if it helps on warm up. Not really a good idea to just let it sit with the choke on as plug fouling can happen. Or you can do like I do on my cold blooded Honda,just drive off under partial choke until you can slowly let off the choke as it warms up on cold days. OPT

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well ill try and see if moving that fuel/air screw does anything when trying to start it. Would u have any idea what the miss firing sound would be? cause after its warm it doesnt have the miss firing sound but when u first start it it does and when u take off it putters like it wants to die but i push the throttle hard and it comes back to life. any ideas?