Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs Raptor 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee vs Raptor 660

By the end of the year i am going to sell my 250r for either a raptor or banshee. Originally i was pretty much set on how perfect the raptor was for me because of the trails i ride on, sometimes tight and a lot of hills so the amount of torque was nice to hear. But i feel like im going to miss my two stroke. The banshee just sounds like a load of fun and just an upgrade from the 250r. Oh yea, i plan on modding the **** out of which one i get, or i will get one than get the other and put money into them equally. tell me what you think.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Dude. Let me tell you, the 660 does have a lot of low end torque BUT the bike is not real fast on top end, its to top heavy, to heavy over all, and when it comes right down to it is a POS. Parted mine out on ebay. Now for my banSHEE. It is one bad a$$ machine, 409 stroker with dynoport two into one exhaust and one (single) 38mm carb with 15tooth front and 38tooth rear sprocket and it is bad *** in the woods and stupid fast in straights. (Pat on back) the last drag race I had was with a can am renegade 300ft and spanked him like a little school girl. Just for the record. If its fast (there MUST be oil in the gas.

Hope it helps

Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT SELL THE 250R!!! You will regret it big time. If you want to get more torque out of it, make it a 310 or 330 with powervalve. The 660 does have big torque and is fun on trails, but it is going to handle like a pickup truck compared to the 250R's on rails, sportscar feel. True the Banshee is a blast, you can throw stupid amounts of money at them and get ridiculous amounts of power. The suspension and handling were outdated when the machine was introduced in the 80's however, and time hasn't been kind.

My suggestion is keep the 250R, mod it if you want. Buy either flavor of Yamaha when you can afford to keep both. Personally, I like 450s, more low end than the 250R, handles as well as or better, plus you get top shelf suspension. For the record, I also own a 250R. I have no desire to ever ride another 660, much less own one. The Banshee on the other hand I should have never sold and hope to have one in the stable again someday.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with scooter on the banshee suspension, I have 3K in suspension. Shocks, a arms, swing arm, spindles, steering stem, ect ect ect. But if you do sell the 250R I want first dibs. On the 450's. Not a big fan, the yamaha 450 is not really a great bike except for mx tracks. In the woods (cross country racing) my sons blaster will eat them for lunch. But its not stock (well the seat is). Lol. If you want a two stroke (your 250R) to become a monster call Kevin Herr at Herr Jugs Racing and let him build your engine. I know there are a lot of engine builders out there and we have used many. Kevin is a 2 stroke master.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I still plan on selling my 250r i dont know if its just me but i cant find any aftermarker parts for it being an 86. and im looking for a bike to be a project that i can work on for years.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Banshee for sure. You should be careful on the bikes like the yfz's because there are so many changes from year to year. JS. But for real let me know on the 250R. Send some pic's to me at mitchell@hmtracing.com

Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought her as a cherry with only 15 hours and original tires december last year. im selling her around decemberish too, so i will be riding it throughout the year. when i get ready to ill email you. Im pretty sure ill be getting the banshee yet i havent had any posts in favor of raptor so im still waiting on more posts to reach my verdict.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 250R is an '86. What parts are you having a hard time finding? Nerfs are about the only thing, and you can modify YFZ nerfs to fit easily enough!

HMT, I race xc. I have never had a Blaster eat me and my YFZ for "lunch" LOL. The ONLY place a Blaster has an advantage is where the supposedly 50" trail is actually only 48"

Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scooter86
My 250R is an '86. What parts are you having a hard time finding? Nerfs are about the only thing, and you can modify YFZ nerfs to fit easily enough!

HMT, I race xc. I have never had a Blaster eat me and my YFZ for "lunch" LOL. The ONLY place a Blaster has an advantage is where the supposedly 50" trail is actually only 48"
Well come on out to GNCC in florida in march. Will be glad to see it in action

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scooter86

Here is a video of one of his holeshots on the blaster at a t.o.r.n. Race in texas. Never looked back. rtsp://v8.cache6.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQmLAAAB3JCCsBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSA RSBXdhdGNoYKziw43yq_GWTgw=/0/0/0/video.3gp its not you normal blaster. Lmao.

Quick Reply: Banshee vs Raptor 660