Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Grizzly 600 leaking oil next to gear shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Grizzly 600 leaking oil next to gear shifter

I have a Grizzly that just started to leak engine oil next to the gear shifter where the pull starter meets the engine block. It all started when I was having trouble starting the Grizz last night and reved it hard a couple of times and found an oil puddle this morning under the Grizz. The Grizz is still running fine and not smoking either. I stoped by my local shop today and the tec suggested checking the overflow tube from the engine block and also to clean the carb. He also said that the carb may be dumping gas into my oil? Any other ideas?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Is the crankcase overfilled and does it smell like gas? If you don't shut the gas off that's a common problem.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I am not 100% sure it isn't overfilled but i looked in the little window on the side below the pull start and it was only 1/2 way up the window after running it for 10 minutes. I have been turning my gas line off for the last 2 years due to the carb dumping gas on my garage floor if i dont turn it off. It started dumping gas after I cleaned out the carb when it wouldn't run properly. It is only a small amount of gas but still I turn it off. Funny thing is I think that the day before all of this happened I actually forgot to turn it off over night. Another thing I noticed lately is that it can be a pain to get running after sitting for more then a couple of days which was never a problem in the past. When i changed the sparkplug out the old plug was all black w/ carbon which i know isn't good but don't know what exactly it is an indication of. I did smell the oil that was on the garage floor and didn't smell any gas in it and it looked and felt normal. I ordered a gasket that goes between the pull start and engine (crankcase gasket) where I saw the oil coming from. I did see a very small puddle of oil on the other side of the Grizz today...same distance back just on the other side. I am thinking some of the oil made its way over there and am not going to worry about it. Any idea how hard it is going to be to change out the gasket? Looks like a straight forward fix but could be a mess once I take the bolts out. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like ya need a carb rebuild, cheap insurance!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

So here is what I am going to attemp to do to get my Grizz running:
1. rebuild on carb...not looking forward to this since last time i messed w/ it the bowl would not come off due to one of the screws not coming loose. Guess I will beat it w/ a chissel and hammer and hope for the best and expect to buy an aftermarket carb in the end.
2. replace the boot between the carb and engine
3. replace the gasket on the crankcase
4. oil and filter job
5. possibly have a shop check the timing...not sure if this is necessary
6. change the sparkplug again

sound about rite?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Try using a hand impact on the stubborn screw and if the head is stripped you can use a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut a slot for a standard screw driver.
Good luck

Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default still leaking oil

The Grizz is running better then ever w/ the carb job completed but in still leaking alot of oil even though i replaced the crankcase gasket. Should i have used some sort of sealant on the gasket before i put it on? I noticed it was leaking around where the wires go into the crankcase. I just took the griss out to get some wood and parked it in the garage and there is already a nice 3" round puddle of oil underneath. It seems if it is cold it wont leak but once it warms up I am leaking a good amount of oil. Ideas?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, a little silicone never hurts. Sounds like your on the right track!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help vangasman! I found a silicone on the auto zone web site called: permatex the right stuff gasket maker. Sounds like it would fit the bill...any other suggestions? I just want to make sure i dont put something in there that is a permanent bonding adhesive.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Talking Fixed!!

I picked up a tube of Hondabond 4 and some cleaner at my local store today and attacked the crankcase again. This time I took the shifter off so I could get the case apart unlike yesterday. When I got it apart I saw that i didn't get all of the old gasket off. I took a razor and removed the old gasket that was stuck on and then cleaned both sides of the case off. I only put the Hondabond 4 where the wires come into the crankcase and in one other spot that needed a little help due to the new gasket getting slightly ripped. I re-assembled the case then filled up the oil and let it run for 20 min or so w/ no oil leakes! i then took a short ride and parked it in the garage and checked every so often for oil drips and so far I havent found one drip! Thanks for the help!