Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear -- Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear -- Deal or no deal?

I have the chance to buy an older Big Bear 350 4x4 that's somewhere in the 1989-1993 age range for $800. I have only seen a picture so far, but may go look at it tonight after work. Here's the scoop... Supposedly good overall condition, runs good, needs a battery. Lights work (one headlight is apparently burned out), has an oil leak between transfer case and engine which he thinks happened when he took it apart to replace the front differential. Tires need to be replaced. Plastic is in good condition, but front fender has one crack. Front brakes have a problem.
It comes with an additional parts machine that is missing the front and rear differential, front axles and all 4 tires. Most everything else is intact, including rims. This one apparently has a broken cam (camshaft?).
I realize this is not a speed demon, but I am not into sport quads, just utility ATV's for hunting, work around the property, etc...
What do you guys think? What would be the expected street value once it's fixed up?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As something for your needs, it fits the bill. Main thing is to try and estimate how much it will cost to get it back to form. Thats the biggest thing. If you have to put $800-1000 into it to get it going good, then its a bust. The engine is #1. If the engine isnt good, or won't last very long, its a waste of your time and money. Then the little things that really ad up quick. CV axles, brakes, bearings, shocks. If you need wheel bearings all around and brakes (not just pads but mechanical parts), that piles up pretty quick. Paying someone to fix that oil leak probably wouldn't be super cheap either. Look it over real good when you get the chance, if its not great, there are always others out there in the $2000-3000 range that are in fine condition with a lot of life left in them. Not everyone that buys a quad rides it much after the first year. Always nice to find that guy that bought one because his buddies had them, and then never did put a lot of miles on it.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for your input, Andy. I would have done the work myself, but it's a moot point because he sold it today. Probably would have been a pretty good deal.