Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BIG problem! Rode someone's Blaster, it died & won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BIG problem! Rode someone's Blaster, it died & won't start!

2002 Yamaha Blaster 2 stroke. I borrowed someone else's blaster, drove it maybe 1/4 mile, downshifted to slow to turn around, ran 20 yards & it died. Thought i didn't downshift enough, put it in neutral & it wouldn't start, it started smoking. They are putting the entire blame on me & wanting me to buy another engine. They forgot about the 8 miles they just drove it with the throttle wide open! They said it has compression, they checked spark plugs. Someone else mentioned maybe a hole in a piston. Any ideas on what to check before buying another engine??? thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zebra12
2002 Yamaha Blaster 2 stroke. I borrowed someone else's blaster, drove it maybe 1/4 mile, downshifted to slow to turn around, ran 20 yards & it died. Thought i didn't downshift enough, put it in neutral & it wouldn't start, it started smoking. They are putting the entire blame on me & wanting me to buy another engine. They forgot about the 8 miles they just drove it with the throttle wide open! They said it has compression, they checked spark plugs. Someone else mentioned maybe a hole in a piston. Any ideas on what to check before buying another engine??? thanks!
It's not going to have compression with a hole in the piston. Are the people checking it mechanics or is it the owners who let you borrow it?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Owners are the ones checking it - no mechanic has looked at it. Think they are trying to get a new engine for an 4wheeler on my account. I do feel bad that it happened but not 100% at fault, they bought it used recently and have been riding it hard the whole time. Anyhow, just wondering if it can be fixed vs. replacing - not sure what to look for.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just curious, did they mix the fuel or does the self oiler work? were they with you and did they witness this? sounds like they may be fishing for a new engine. . needs a compression check and check out the fuel/oil mixture. 2 strokes smoke a little anyways. how much smoke was it chugging out?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaster94
just curious, did they mix the fuel or does the self oiler work? were they with you and did they witness this? sounds like they may be fishing for a new engine. . needs a compression check and check out the fuel/oil mixture. 2 strokes smoke a little anyways. how much smoke was it chugging out?
Good point. My old Polaris 2 stroke 250 I used to have smoked like a chainsaw at warm up temperature.

I would bring it to a real mechanic to look at it.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure about gas mix. we hooked it up and can get it pull started but won't stay on. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

pull the plug. inspect the electrode for color/discoloration. check the ceramic neck for any deficiencies/cracks. it sounds like you didn't hit any water, so the coil wire should be ok unless it's cracked and weather rotted.
definitely put a pressure gauge on the jug and spin the engine and check the compression. report back all results.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

just saw your duplicate post. follow 95wolv's advice. he's the 2 stroke expert!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Pro Rider

could be as simple as a broken reed valve.... TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL and avoid buying a new engine. It has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile ride. If you didn't put the gas in it, or the mix oil.... don't pay a thing. If they expect you to buy a new engine, YOU take it to the mechanic and they pay if it's just some sort of mechanical failure (which it could be.... it might even be electrical as well).... establish some rules of who pays and WHY before it goes to any place, as long as a mechanic can identify the problem before any money is spent. Someone familiar with the engine should be able to nail it down pretty quick.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Range Rover

Honestly, I would not give them a dime unless I did something wrong. It does not sound like you did anything wrong to me. Good luck with the situation.

Quick Reply: BIG problem! Rode someone's Blaster, it died & won't start!