Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Been out of the "game" a while. Rode a Banshee yesterday, and got the fever again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been out of the "game" a while. Rode a Banshee yesterday, and got the fever again.

Hello all.

I used to post here pretty often about 10yrs ago. Since then, I have gotten out of the performance end of quads.

In the past I have owned my slew of 250Rs, banshees, Raptor, and a few LT500s.

I made the mistake of going and seeing a friend I havent seen in about 5 years.
We used to ride together a lot, and he recently picked up a mild 2003 Banshee. Pipes, heads, ect.
So I decided to take it for a spin, and the fever started right back. So, now im on Craigslist looking for Banshees.

Im pretty set on a Banshee. The ones I had in the past were sledgehammer reliable, and we all know they mod up great. I really never cared for the smooth power of the modern 4-strokes anyhow.

My question is this.
Having been totally out of the loop for a while, I am really behind on performance mods.
Handling, and breaking are 2 things that I couldnt care less about in a quad.

Straight line performance. Thats it. Top end power, nothing more. No mud ever. Dirt and concrete.
In the past, we always stepped out the front sprocket at least 1 tooth for more top end.

Also, im not looking to go into the engine. Just bolt ons.
That in mind, what would be the first, say, $1500 in mods you would do to a banshee in terms of Pipes, reeds, carbs, and head mods? I always had pretty good luck by taking 30-thous off my stock heads. (We own a machine shop)

What brand of pipes are the new hottness? Back in the day, it was all about the Toomey T-5s. Do they still hold up to modern design?

Thanks, and glad to be back.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

You said that you didn't want to go inside your motor, but the power is in the cylinder porting and matching it up with the right exhaust, carbs, reeds and compression ratio heads.The aftermarket heads on the market right now with the interchangable domes are the way to go IMO because they cool better, are O-ringed and give you the option of changing your compression ratio easily.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by WaaHeHe94
You said that you didn't want to go inside your motor, but the power is in the cylinder porting and matching it up with the right exhaust, carbs, reeds and compression ratio heads.The aftermarket heads on the market right now with the interchangable domes are the way to go IMO because they cool better, are O-ringed and give you the option of changing your compression ratio easily.

Very much noted suggestion.

Been doing a little math, and what im looking at is a $1500 budget for mods.
Trying to stay under $5k for the entire setup. (Up to $3500 for a clean bike,and $1500 mods)

Used T5s are pretty common around here for under $400. ect.

Basically, if you had a stock Banshee, and $1500 for mods, all power related, what direction would you go?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

If it were me and I only had $1500 to spend I would probably keep it stock until I could afford to mod it the way that I wanted to, but that's just me.You should be careful when buying used pipes for a 2-stroke and check them for dents because dents will alter how the pipes flow.

Your budget isn't really that bad but you have to consider that when your building a Banshee you have to buy two of everything because it's a twin cylinder motor.From what I've learned over the years about building 2-strokes it's all in the cylinder porting, you build everything else around that.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Bansheehq.com, everything you would want to know about Banshees. Check out the Serval with a 4mil. 70 Hp on pump gas. I run T5's on my 4mil but Shears and CPI are hot also. $ 3500 should get you a Banshee with some good mods done. I picked mine up for $1700 and droped another $2500 on a 4mil with cool head,wiesco clutch,+1+2 a-arm's, works shock's, and V-force reeds.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Id start with some better front shocks and maybe a arms and axle then pipes