Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carb (?) problem on my Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb (?) problem on my Wolverine

I have a 2001 Woverine 350 4x4. Great little machine. Last week I was out riding with the wife in some pretty wet and bouncy terrain, and it started acting badly at anything less than 3/4 throttle. I had to gear down and run high rpms to get back to the trail head.

I got a carb kit monday, and started into the engine. Turns out that the air filter was ripped and wasn't seated properly in the housing which explains why the pilot jet was clogged. I rebuilt the carb, put it all back together.

Now the problem is.... From idle to about 1/8th the way on the throttle, it halfway misses and sputters. From there on up its back to its normal self. I've checked the pilot needle (It didn't seem to make much of a difference at all) and its back to 2 1/4 turns out. I pulled the new float needle and out the old one back in because the wire on the new one wasn't the same height as the old one. I also tore the carb completely down, and soaked it in cleaner.

The rubber gasket on the piston valve has a small tear in it, which I repaired with rubber cement. I checked it each time I pulled the carb off and it seems to be airtight. I really hesitate to replace it since its a rather pricey little monster.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do next. The quad is rideable as is, but it just lacks the pop I would expect off the line or off the bottom end of the throttle.

Thanks in advance.