Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which ATV should I buy?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
ZwD
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which ATV should I buy?

Hey guys,I'm new here what's up?

So i'm new to this ATV thing,i've been doing it since I was 9 and now I am 16.I started out with the little 90cc's and now I ride the suzuki's ( around 200cc - rental ).

Anyway i've been looking into more technical things and i've learned how car engines and 2/4 stroke engines works,how the carburator,airfilter,clutch etc works too.

So let's get to the point,I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha Banshee (YFZ350) hence that's why I posted it in the Yamaha section.I heard it was built and works best on sand/dunes and since I live in Qatar and I found some used ones in good condition for a reasonable price.So what do you think ? Is it a reliable bike? I've already read the manual so it's all good.

What are the pro's and con's of the banshee?
&
If someone could send me some diagrams & full manual of the banshee I would really appreciate it !

-Thank You!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Banshees by far are the best dune quad around. For the price to build one up its by far cheaper then the 450. And their alot more fun to ride also

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I wouldn't say they are the best by far. The 700R's are replacing them left and right. The banshee's are a blast for about an hour but, then I'm just whipped and tired of the all or nothing style of the Banshee. Banshee's are fun at the dunes and I'd love to get another to build one day but, I have much more fun on a 450 or 700R.

The downside is the suspension suuuuuucks. They are narrow and just don't handle well. That doesn't much hurt you on the dunes but, don't get much air and expect a plush landing. The other issue is well, it's a 2 stroke so it will chug gas at 3 times the rate of a 4 stroke. Your going to need to carry extra plugs because, you will foul plugs on occasions.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Keep a Banshee stock and it will be just as reliable as any other 2 stroke. Start modding it and you're asking for problems. Then when it's time for a rebuild you have to buy 2 of everything. I remember back in the day my buddy had to take out a loan to rebuild his Banshee. The crank and topend went out, it cost him around $1000 to rebuild it and that was 15 years ago. My vote would be for a 4 stroke.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Keep a Banshee stock ....
That's crazy talk! ; )
Ride a pipped banshee and you'll be throwing down $500-$600 bucks on you credit card before the end of the day. Haha! Like i said they are tons of fun for awhile but...

I agree with Raptor450. It stinks to do work on them and it comes with age on any quad. Carb cleaning? Double the work right off the bat and they have to stay in sync.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Ha yeah theres no doubt that Banshees are cool, I wouldnt mind having 1 to play around with, but the only Banshee that I ever owned, I owned it for 1 week, rode it for 10 minutes and the head gasket blew, then I traded it for a Honda Civic.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptor450
....then I traded it for a Honda Civic.
I'd say that was a good trade. How did the Civic handle the dunes?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Koopa
I'd say that was a good trade. How did the Civic handle the dunes?
Well we don't have many dune riding areas here in NC but it didn't have enough ground clearance for the deep mud that we do have!

Search this Thread