Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 blaster quit running after ran in water

Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 blaster quit running after ran in water

hi hope you can help i have a 99 blaster stock that has always ran strong the other day i was riding and went through a creek and drenched the whole quad still rn great the rest of the day two days later went to ride again and it started right up ran for about a minute then died started a few more times and everytime i gave it fuel it died now wont start at all ive taken carb off and cleaned any help would be great im in the military so dont have much time to work on and diagnose myself please help if any ideas

Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The reason it won't run might not have anything to do with riding through water. If it is something that is wet, the most common part to get wet and malfunction would be the ignition coil. This is the round piece that the sparkplug wire comes out of. Make sure it's not cracked and make sure it's dry. You could pull the sparkplug and make sure it's not covered in gas/oil. If it's got gas on it, then the engine just flooded while trying to crank it. If this is the case then you could burn the fuel off with a lighter or it may be a good idea to install a new one, after all, it is a 2 stroke and the plug could have fouled.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i pulled the plug and have good spark and the coil seems to be in good condition i have tried priming the bike and it doesnt even try to start very frustrating im suppose to go riding this weekend anymore ideas thanks for your help

Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the compression. My have broken a reed.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your reply i will check both the compression and reeds after work do i have to have a compression gauge or is there a different way without one

Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

a COMPRESSION tester is best, but a cheap way to test compression is to pull the plug, stick your finger over the plug hole while you kick over the engine. It should blow your finger off the hole.

another trick to make sure you're getting fuel is to pour a small amout (like a plastic soda bottle top full) of fuel into the sparkplug hole, reinstall the plug, then see if it will crank. if it cranks then, that means you're not getting fuel from the carb.

Also make sure you're getting fuel to the carb. The fuel switch needs to be on and fuel needs to run out of the hose. If the filter in the gas tank is clogged it may only run when the switch is on reserve.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

had the same problem with my blaster, sunk it in some water and wouldnt start after, ended up blowing the reeds out, easy to check, cheap and easy to fix

Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i pulled the carb and the reed housing and the reeds visualy appear fine does this mean theyre ok theres no cracks or missing pieces could something electrical have gotten wet to cause it not to run its got fire fuel and air im sooooooooo maaaaaaaaaaaaad lol please help

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

If something was wet then that would cause it to lose fire. You have fire and fuel, the only things you need now is compression and fire at the right time, so you need to do a compression test and check your timing. If I had to guess I would say you have lost compression, maybe a ring broke or something.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check your flywheel. may have came loose or broke a keyway and is now out of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 blaster quit running after ran in water