Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Kodiak cranks but won't start

Ok,
So we were 30 miles off the road in moose/caribou hunting camp. My Kodiak started acting up. It didn't want to run at idle and was a bear to start. I had to raise the throttle lever just a touch to get it to start. We go back another 15 miles to look for caribou. I experienced these problems the whole way, but it would start. Suddenly, I end up in a no start condition. It would try to start and actually did twice, but it was a very low idle speed and was just barely running. It wouldn't go above idle and eventually died.
I get towed back to camp and back out to the truck. That is another whole story in itself.
I get home, I pulled the tank and checked the screens - clean. I replaced the spark plug (old one was somewhat fouled black and the tailpipe is black, so I suspect too much gas) and checked spark - got spark. I put in fresh clean gas - no change. I pulled the carb - checked the jets, slide valve is in good shape, choke seems to move smoothly - no change. I checked the timing at static TDC - good. I checked the timing with a timing light - fires on the "F" mark. I checked valve adjustments - good. I checked compression - 190PSI. I tried Ether - no change.
It still sounds like it wants to start, but just won't catch. It did start once and again sounded like a low speed idle and died AS SOON as I touched the throttle and wouldn't start again.
A good friend wants me to try to start it with my hand over the carb inlet to manually choke it. I haven't tried that yet this morning.
I pulled the tank a couple of months ago and thought I heard a "snap" or "crack" sound. The only thing I could find in that area that moved was the mount for the throttle cable. Should that be a solid mount that the nut moves around, or is the cable just pulled tight when pressure is put on it? I can disassemble the needle valve and spring and pull the nut off over the end of the cable.
I don't know what else to check.
Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

AK Chappy

Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried the trick my buddy suggested and got gas flowing out from the carb throat. This confirms the fuel screens and shutoff valve are good, it also confirms that the slide valve works when it gets vacuum.
When I pulled my hand away while still cranking, it fired for just a second or two and then would blow black smoke out the carb throat when the throttle was held open. So, I decided to check timing again. I hooked up the light and got no signal, tried twice more and got no light pulse. I pulled the spark plug, it had fuel on it and was somewhat fouled black. I checked for spark and had none. At least I have something to track down now.

AK Chappy

Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just so everyone knows how it turned out. I pulled the side off the motor and the stator had some things that just didn't look right. I pulled it out and the wires were burnt and very brittle behind one leg. Evidently it had gotten a bit hot, or shorted out and the wires were burnt up and one was broken. Have to wait until Monday to order a new one.

AK Chappy

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you're on the right track. sorry i didn't see this thread sooner. take care