Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cam chain 2003 Big Bear YFM400FRW

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question cam chain 2003 Big Bear YFM400FRW

hello
i am a new member and this is my first post.i have a big bear 400 that was given to me in not running condition.i cleaned it up,rebuild the carburetor and it is running now.i never had an ATV before and i must say it's alot of fun.the cam chain is very loose and causing a noise.i just bid on a repair manual for it so i can fix it.my question is , how big of a job is it and do i need special tools for it?i'm just a at home mechanic and work on my truck,my wife's van and my moms car using HAYENS manuals.is this job going to be too big for me? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

nobody ???

Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing a cam chain is not too bad really. I have only done one so far. My Big Bears cam chain is running out of adjustment on the tensioner too. Make sure your tensioner is working correctly before you replace the chain.

The worst part of the cam chain job is that you will probably have to pull the magneto to get to the gear on the crank. You have to have a special puller to get the magneto off. I tried getting the magneto on my suzuki off with a normal puller and pulled on it enough that I was afraid I was going to break something so I really reccomend using the correct puller. I ended up taking the engine to the local dealer and having them pull it. Think they charged me $5 or $10 and the tool costs about $60 I think. Regardless, once the magneto is off and the cam gear is off, just pull the old chain out, line everything back up at top dead center, reset the tensioner, and stick it back together.

Eric

Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default thank you Eric

i'm still searching for a chain.can't find one on e-bay and most likely have to go with a dealer (witch means more money ).the repair manual does not really specify what kind of puller is needed.i'm still looking into that.i appreciate your input and hope i can return the favor .thanks again
Heiko

Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Type in eBay item number 370563852710 in the search. Should work for you and be cheaper than the dealer.

And here is the puller you need. Not cheap, but cheaper than taking it to have it fixed:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=130607230025

Hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default awesome

this helps allot .thank you Cummins Driver i finally got the correct repair manual and going to order the chain tomorrow .the puller will have to wait till the weekend but it's in my shopping cart .i can't wait to get started on it.
and again

Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, glad it was a help to you! If you need any other help with it just post back and let us know. Ill help if I can

Eric

Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

I know you already have the chain but there are countless online retailers that sell OEM parts for a fraction of what the dealer would charge you if you can't find it on ebay. boats.net, world of cycles, yamaha parts depot, and yamaha sports plaza are just a few.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default so many sites

thanks geoman but you know it's a jungle out there.so many sites to look at. i will write these sites down you mentioned for future reference .

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

the cam chain came in today.

Quick Reply: cam chain 2003 Big Bear YFM400FRW