Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV vs SXS------ for TX, OK riders

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATV vs SXS------ for TX, OK riders

Hey guys I was just wondering what you guys think is the best All Terrain Vehicle from those of you who ride North Texas (dallas) area as well as southern OK trails. By budget is 20 grand so I can either buy one really nice UTV (and possibly a used ATV/ dirt bike) or two nice ATVs. So again from those of you who ride OK and TX trails what would be the best set up?

Thanks for all the input you guys give me!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,m not sure about Texas but up here on our trails there are many sections of the trails where SxS just can,t go due to there extra width. I,m not a big fan of SXS they have the same drivetrain as a ATV but are far less maneuverable and much more heavy.

A 600lb ATV is always going to out perform a 1200lb SxS.

I rode a Yamaha 700 Rino and its just not as fun as a ATV, even a 450 Grizzly would out perform it let alone a 700 Grizzly and the cost half the price.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Are you in OK TLC??

I ride south central OK. Haven't been very far south. I agree for the most part with TLC. For me SXS are just no fun. I have quite a few friends that purchased them once they got married. Mostly so they could take the lady with them places. It really depends on your riding style. If you just want to get out and have some fun but, be able to stay comfortable and take it easy the SxS are great. If you want to spend more time in the air than on the ground and have more of a racing/sport experience you can't beat a quad.

I will say the Polaris RZR's are the only SxS i'd consider. They have much more pep and actually resemble a sports vehicle when compared to the dog that is a Rhino. Throw on a good exhaust and they will run pretty good. Usually can get all 4 breaking traction easily.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

For the places I've been to in Texas and Oklahoma, you'll find more riding areas for the atv's than the utv's. With that kind of budget, you should be able to get two really nice atv's and a trailer.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a hard question to answer- it's like asking "which is better? lake boating or ocean boating?"
you can't realistically compare or ask which is better: dirtbikes, atv's or sxs's- there's no answer...

you'll have to decide which style of riding you're planning on doing.
trails? pits? dunes? logging roads?

would you rather sit in a seat with your feet in front, or on top of an atv with your feet under you? or on a two wheeled bike that cant carry very much cargo for long trips?

would you rather have the freedom to manipulate an atv by shifting your body around, or would you rather be strapped into a vehicle and at the mercy of the terrain and the sxs suspension?

we cant answer those questions for you- lots of us love our atv's and there's lots of us who love the sxs's... and comparing the riding of a dirtbike to an atv is like comparing a jetski to a jeep.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I agree with everything said above and while I'm not from TX I have ridden sport ATV's most of my life and bought a RZR 'S' 2 years ago. Just like stated before, if you like to do wheelies and cut up, get an ATV. If you like to listen to the radio, cruise and crawl, and take the fam or a buddy with you, then a side by side is the way to go. I personally like to do wheelies and cut up, but I needed something to ride the family on, so the best of both worlds was the RZR S. It has plenty of power to hang with the 450's and a smooth enough suspension to go over bumps and ruts while going fast.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Hmmm. A used RZR and two used atv's. That would be in the budget.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Hmmm. A used RZR and two used atv's. That would be in the budget.

or- he could buy just one of these

remember... it's sooo exciting