Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Badger 80cc coming home tonight

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yamaha Badger 80cc coming home tonight

I've been browsing the threads specifically on the Badger. Once I pick up my Badger tonight for a price I couldn't resist, I will post pics of it. I know it's a non-runner and a project, but I am positive with this forum and it's knowledgeable members, this little Badger will breathe life again.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Here she is. Threw the battery charger on it overnight eventhough I am sure it's shot. Turned the key on and the neutral light comes on. First good sign. FYI, this a Craigslist FREE Scoreage.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad for a freebie! Does it run?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigcountry78
Not bad for a freebie! Does it run?
Dunno, just got it home and it was already dark. I'll get better pics and more info on where it stands tomorrow (Sat). I may restore it.

I ran the VIN and it's a 2000. Right place at the right time.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

Battery is gone. A little spark plug tool kit was present, score!

I removed the Spark Plug and put power using my battery charger. At first, the solenoid was just clicking, so I bridged the solenoid terminals and I can hear it power the starter but no turning. I removed the starter and put power directly and it spun as it should. Good sign.

I was able to free the engine with a little nudging in gear. Put the starter back in and the engine started spinning. Did the finger over spark plug hole while turning to feel compression. I have a gauge but no adapter for the small plugs. I got a little compression but was expecting more (maybe a tired engine). Put some brake cleaner in the cylinder while turning to remove moisture and grime.

I then spun the engine while grounding the spark plug that was out, got spark. Another good sign. At this point, I decided to strip down the ATV so I could work on it easier and see whats under all the plastics. I removed the tank to drain old fuel.

Here's the short list of what I need so far:

1) carb rebuild kit
2) battery)
3) accelerator cable
4) all brake cables

The Foot Brake assembly looks like some bolt or rod that holds it on has snapped off, so a little welding will be required. I was able to straighten the handlebars, which was bent down on the left side. Maybe $80 so far, hopefully the engine doesn't need a rebuild, but so far so good.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

Looks like you're making good progress so far, should have it up and running in no time. I like reading about old wheelers being given new life.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigcountry78
Looks like you're making good progress so far, should have it up and running in no time. I like reading about old wheelers being given new life.
Much thanks. I got so many projects that I really didn't need to take this one on. But for free, heck why not. It's only money and time, right? I too love to see classics being brought back to life. My oldest is my 1979 Honda Odyssey. This screams too.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The old Yamaha 80 and 100cc quads are some tough little quads. I wish somebody would give me one lol!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptor450
The old Yamaha 80 and 100cc quads are some tough little quads. I wish somebody would give me one lol!
It was the right time and place on Craigslist. Got super lucky.

Today, I put the quad on stands. Removed the Exhaust, sanded it down and gave it a flat black high temp black paint job.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome find, I just sold my Yamaha YMF100 same exact bike as yours but 100cc rather than 80cc. Parts are a little hard to come by and they can get pricey very quick, part of the reason I sold mine.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Badger 80cc coming home tonight