Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 Hard to Shift.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 Hard to Shift.

I just picked up a pretty decent shape Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 from a guy with a trailer for $350.00. The guy wanted to get rid of it because he did not know what was wrong with it and some guy (random guy not a shop) wanted to charge him $1900.00 to fix it. He did not want to put that much money into it so he decided to sell it.

I took it home and put it in my drive way, I have to clean the carb, change all of the oil, and put a new plug in it. I got it into neutral (this was very hard to do) and I put a fuel line from the tank to the carb. I did get it started, it run rough but it runs.

Now I did not try to shift it when it was running because of how rough it was running. When I had it in the drive way I would try to shift it in to neutral and I would rock it and try to shift it and it just would not shift. The foot shifter is connected to a rod that is connected to the tranny shifter on the engine. I broke the rod in between the foot shifter and the shifter piece on the engine. I googled searched this and it seems to be a typical problem but no one has a solution for the problem.

What could be causing this to be so hard to shift it into gear? I would think the clutch or clutch springs but I have not tried to do it while it is running only in my driveway, rocking it or pushing it to slide it in gear. Could the shift linkage just be a crappy set up to begin with? Does anyone know the solution to this problem? I could adjust the clutch but I just do not see the clutch being the problem when I am trying to shift it with out it running. I never owned a Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 but I owe a bunch of ATV's and usually I can shift it into gear by rocking it.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
Rob

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you repair it?i have like the same issue

Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider

Im willing to bet you have a bent shift fork or a warn shift drum. Will need to split the case to fix it.