Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Workin on Dad's Timberwolf and need some guidence PLZ

Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workin on Dad's Timberwolf and need some guidence PLZ

Just back from hunting with the Family and Dad's Timberwolf is not running well so I brought it back with me. I think it is a 93? Ser # starts with JY44BDW03WA......
Eng Number is 1BD-3238..

Pretty sure the carb is due for an overhaul but am having difficulty matching up numbers to a kit. The carb has 4BD 03 on it. I searched the Mikuni site but do not see any repair kits there. I see many many on Flea Bay but they the pics look a lot different and supposedly serving the same years??? Do the Dealerships carry a kit or would I need too order each part individually???

So I am looking for confirmation of the year if someone can do that for me and I am also looking for a specific recommendation on a Carb kit for this beasty. I have rebuilt many carbs on Goldwings and from the parts breaks down this look quite simple compared to those.

I do have a Clymer for the machine.

TIA for any advise and guidance!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Comes back like this on the decoder link I have.

1998 YAMAHA YFB250U
VIN:JY44BDW03WA000000Check sum validation failed (I added the zeros to make it 17 digits)
World region:Asia
Manufactured in:Japan
Year:1998
Make:Yamaha
Model:YFB250U
Body style:All Terrain
Drive type:RWD
Cylinders:1 Cylinders

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK Thank You for that. The book has a chart in it but the sequence did not make sense to me. Maybe that is because the book only covers up to 97!!

I called Mother and hopefully she will dig out her purchase paperwork and verify the year for me.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

I thought the timberwolfs were all the same during their manufacture days?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ShelbyGT660
I thought the timberwolfs were all the same during their manufacture days?
Very possible?? I know nothing about these machines really. I have been using this one for years at our camp but I seldom get up there (almost 600 miles away) when they do maintenance on them. I am a pretty fair mechanic that specializes in 70's model Gold Wings and I tinker with a bunch of other stuff so I think I can figure this out pretty well. It was running so poorly that my Brother asked us to use his wheeler instead. I have to return up that way for Christmas and I offered to bring it home and fix it up and Dad jumped at the idea.

I know my Brother seems to think it is almost exactly the same engine he had in his 3 wheeler back in the day.

So I see several different kits on Flea Bay, are there any known quality issues with any of these?? I know in the Gold Wing circles we steer clear of a couple of manufacturers and was wondering if that was an issue here??

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Durby
Comes back like this on the decoder link I have.

1998 YAMAHA YFB250U
VIN:JY44BDW03WA000000Check sum validation failed (I added the zeros to make it 17 digits)
World region:Asia
Manufactured in:Japan
Year:1998
Make:Yamaha
Model:YFB250U
Body style:All Terrain
Drive type:RWD
Cylinders:1 Cylinders
DOH!! I went through the tool storage area and found an old registration card. It verifies it as a 98 model.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Cool. That actually makes me a bit of a believer since I bought one of my blasters as a 92 but the VIN came back as a 98 as well.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

I know you said you wanted to buy the kit, but to be honest there is so few parts in the kit that are actually going to wear out that I'd recommend just cleaning the carbs. Unless you break a gasket or one of the small orings you should be fine. Almost every time I pull a carb down to clean it, I find the green ethanol gunk is the culprit and not a part inside the carb. (has been the problem on three that I have done recently on different things) Ethanol=the root of all evil for small engines.
Each time I could have saved the money of the kits and just cleaned the thing but since I had it, I went ahead and put the new parts in.
From what you say your bike sets a long time between uses so I'd bet that a cleaning would do alot for it.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate the advice. I ordered a kit form one of the ebay vendors. For 20 dollars and it will be nice just to have the seals on hand. I just hope the seals are made from the proper material and won't melt when they come into contact with Corn polluted gas.

I do not intend to replace any of the brass parts if they are cleanable and not scarred up. From my experience cleaning and reusing OEM brass parts is far superior to anything that comes from the aftermarket.

The wheeler runs but has a serious stumble at idle and the plug indicates it is running very rich. Hopefully it is just a fouled carb and not something more serious.

Parts should be in tomorrow or Monday and I will know shortly after that.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Range Rover

I have completely stopped using any gas with ethanol in it in any of my boats, jetskis, atvs, or lawn equipment. Basically anything that will sit for more than a week without being ran I won't put it in them.
Bad thing is its is getting harder to find non ethanol gas in most places. I'm lucky because we live near a big lake and several of the stores have the non-ethanol gas still because almost all boaters around here wont buy it unless its non ethanol.
Ethanol caused the fuel pump on my Kawasaki to stop working which in turn cost me several hundred bucks and several days of great hunting. After I got the new part in, I figured what the heck, I took the pump apart and actually got it to work again. It was the green moss looking stuff from ethanol growing inside the pump mechanism.
Go figure...

Like you said those carbs are real easy. I give it a one beer score and you'll be ready to bolt it back up.
Good luck and hope it all works out for ya.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Workin on Dad's Timberwolf and need some guidence PLZ