Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Intermittent Spark /Little to no spark @PLEASE Help@

Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Spark /Little to no spark @PLEASE Help@

Ok guys, First off I'd like to say Ik my atv very well. Ik how its been running and should run. Its a yfm 200 86' moto 4. My uncle is a mechanic and he normally knows his stuff. But we BOTH are stumped.

First, This atv has many electrical issues. Electrical start doesnt work, weak spark. It has good compression for the age ( 125 psi ), Just did a carb rebuild on the carb.

Now for what we did tonight on it, 99% of what we did on it was watch the spark, and cleaning plug, just TRYING like hell to get it to start. What we found out is that the spark plug gap needs to be really low to spark constantly ( like .020 ) Normally its suppose to be like 26/28. If its any bigger then .020 its will have intermittent spark ( no spark at .025+). We tried many different spark plugs but they all where the same results. What we ruled out was that it wasn't the spark plug, wasn't a bad connection, we actually ruled out that its not the ignition coil because we put on another ignition coil and had the same issues.

We are completely stumped, we are atm just guessing that its the CDI. But could be the Stator/rotor ( Maybe one of the coils are bad*)

One more thing i'd like to add, I bought it 3+ years ago , every year it gets worse and worse to start, now its not budging + Just recently I had HIGH rpm misfires.

*We did some tests on all the connections and they seem fine.

Seriously if I can get just a little feedback that be great, me and my uncle are just so confused. Its driving us nuts and I don't wanna throw 300$+ at a 400$ atv lol..

Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would check your stator could of lost ur magnets

Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Weak and erratic spark

Ok I have a 99 warrior, i had had it started one time in the three years I owned it it will spark acassionaly I bought new cdi no difference, I have chased every wire on it next to putting a new harnesss,I'm just wonder what to buy next pick up coil? Stator?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Weak and erratic spark

That's my next step I took the cover off once not knowing it's inside the oil ,this time I'm gonna lay it on it's side I'm tolls that will save oil