Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv

Need help this is my first fourwheeler, it's been a project. I have a 86 I believe Yamaha moto 4 a friend gave me when I got it the shifter gear was busted it wouldn't shift gears so I took apart got the gear fixed so I put back together put oil in where dip stick is fired it up I had up on jack to test so I fired it up put in gear it went so I ran through all the gears everything seamed to work as should so I got it out and got on it to go for a ride and it won't move with me on it so I took apart again to chex over everything and I'm at a loss, any ideas would greatly be appreciated sum up it won't move wen on it but will if it's off the ground

Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

It could be your clutch. It slips when you put it under a load. If that's it you would need to replace the clutch plates.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Trailblazer

yes, it does sound like clutch slippage. Assume you put the correct ATV type oil in the engine? Also big daddy, I sent you a PM with an inquiry as to what gear you found stripped in your tranny.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks u know now that u say about oil I didn't know it takes special oil I just used reg 10/30 motor oil lol didn't know bc it ran before I seen it it was just stuck in sec gear but wen I put back together it didn't so thanks I bet that might be the prob if not ill try the clutch

Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I think I read that the additives in regular engine oil will cause an ATV clutch to slip. The clutch could be near buggered anyway and the use of the incorrect oil could have put it over the edge.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wrong oil isn't good for a wet clutch. But it could be out of adjustment after reassembling. The clutch adjustment should be on the side of the crank case. Loosen the nut and screw. Turn the screw till you feel tension and back off 1/8 turn I think. That's how it's done on a honda. Hope it helps.