Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 wolverine backfiring from carb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 wolverine backfiring from carb?

Hey all,

I just picked up an 02 wolverine 350 in a trade. The bike is relatively clean, but has some carb issues as per the last owner. It was running fine on choke, but dies when choke is off.

So I took the carb apart and noticed a missing breather tube to the air box. I also noticed there is no exhaust baffle in the muffler. I took the carb apart, cleaned it, and drained gas and put new gas in it. I got it started, and it was running rough, but running. After it being on for a good 10 minutes it started to backfire from the carb. It kept doing this. Driving the back it was very underpowered, even giving it a decent amount of gas, I was just putting around in my yard, not really driving it.

So I'm wondering what could be wrong with it? I was planning on taking it to a Yamaha dealership to have it tuned. I would have liked to fix it myself, since I don't plan on keeping it as it was part of a trade, and I'd like to get some money for it. The previous owner was telling me it was getting too much gas, and someone told him he needed a jet kit. The bike is completely stock so that didn't seem right.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not in a rush to sell it, but I would like it gone. The package deal had two other bikes I wanted, so this bike was just part of the deal.

Also if anyone knows where I can order/buy a Warn 424 selector cable. This bike has that unit installed on it, but the cable broke. I would like to put the cable on it, as I feel that would be a good selling point.

Thank you in advance!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the jets. Sounds like they may be deformed or partial clogged. I had a similar problem with a timberwolf. Put lots of money in it and nothing helped. $6 for a new main jet and it ran like a champ.