Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mods for 2003 Raptor 660r ? Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Mods for 2003 Raptor 660r ? Newbie

Hey whats going on guys, just picked up a 2003 Raptor 660r in red & black back in November, and am looking to get some more power out of this beast. I was looking into getting a full CT Racing exhaust with the 16 discs & headers, the Pro design pro air filter, outerwear, and adaptor plate, and the titanium jet kit with the needles, all from CT Racing. Plus i planned on removing the air box lid and drain plug ! My question is, will this boost the power output from my raptor ? Or is there a better setup that I'm not aware of ?? Thanks in advance guys, all opinions are much appreciated !

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That will get you a nice increase in power. Just know that running all 16 discs will be "make your ears bleed" loud and not acceptable in most riding areas. You should be able to see similar gains from pretty much any quality manufacturer such as Yosh or HMF.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply man, I seen on CT's website that with all discs, it is rated at or just near 103 dbs. My only other question is I'm kind of debating on whether to remove the air box lid completely or go for an aftermarket lid such as the Pro Tec Moflow air box lid or the EHS with the outerwear ? Or just keep my lid on ? Will the Pro Design Pro Flow air filter and adapter work with the stock air box lid on ? I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the air box lid on bc we drive over puddles, some water, lots of dirt, rocks, and sand. Is Keeping the air box lid on a good or bad idea in your opinion ? Thanks again man, just trying to get the best setup but at the same time making sure my intake stays clean

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to run a lid, stock or aftermarket. I usually put some uni 1" filter in my stock lids. Something like the Pro Tech works pretty well. Having no lid at all is asking for trouble in mud or dusty conditions.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah decided to go with everything I put earlier, the CT Muffler with 16 discs, headers, pro flow air filter, outwear, adapter plate, clamps, and the titanium jet kit with needles all from CT, but i decided to leave the stock air box lid on, may drill a couple holes into the top. With all that said, how much HP do you believe i'll gain ?? Enough to notice and/or feel ?? Thanks again

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

That will get you a nice increase in power.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply man, I actually decided to switch it up man, and everything is already ordered. I ride trails, and little construction sites near me and in the spring I'll ride at a new Legal motocross/atv track and trails place. But anyways I ordered a OEM style Uni air filter considering i decided to to leave air box lid on due to mud and all that, plus i ordered the HMF Competition Series Full exhaust system with headers, and i'll be running the Stage 3 end cap, which is rated at 102-104 dbs. Plus i ordered the HMF jet kit for the carbs, I went with this bc I'm leaving my motor completely stock, and these are the only "power mods" i'll be doing (Weekend rider). I know i won't see much increase in power, but a little is still better than nothing ! HMF's website calls for a 7-16% gain in HP with this system setup, is this true ????

Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I would say the HMF is an excellent choice and they sound good. Good choice on leaving the engine internals stock, you'll keep the reliability. You should notice a small increase in power, it should rev faster and wind the gears out longer. stock I think the 660 is around 40 HP, 10% increase would be around 4 HP.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks man, exactly what I was looking for ! And yeah i mean it easily does 65-70 ish stock which is plenty IMO ! Is there any mods I would have to do to ride tracks at the Legal place opening in NJ in Spring ? I'm NOT Racing, just going out to have some fun, any certain mods needed or nah ? Other than that I think that just about clears everything up !

Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

In stock form the 660 is rated at 73 mph top speed. If you change gearing or tire size this would change. The 660 has decent suspension from the factory so depending on how high you're gonna fly this thing the factory shocks should be fine. You could get into some real money if you start switching out shocks and suspension, if it were me I would leave it like it is. I never did like jumping the 660 that I had, it was too unpredictable, but I've never been a pro at jumping too far anyway!