Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee questions

Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee questions

Hey everyone. I recently picked up an almost bone stock 2000 banshee. I had a yfz 450 but loved the snap of a 2 stroke. My questions are quite simple.
1. What are the best exhaust systems out there for bottom end torque. I am a trail rider and wanna be able to hit it and break em loose
2. Where can I find new/used fenders
3. Any other mods that can be done to the machine for a sane price that won't run the risk of making the machine unreliable.

Thanks for reading and I would greatly appreciate a response!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Quite a few different pipes out there but Pro circuits have good bottom and mid range, DMC 916s are very good, FMFs are pretty decent also, very underrated. Paul turner makes good trail pipes as well. If your bike is setup right you dont exactly need a certain pipe just to have decent low end, +4 timing and good reeds really help lowend alot as well. On my bike i have just enough low end to where i can literally lug the engine and it will pop wheelies and spin a little bit even in the real low rpms, even right off idle, and thats good for a 2 stroke.

Fenders would be ebay, amazon, rockymountainatvmc, motosport, Maier, Fullbore, bluetraxx classifieds, bansheehq classifieds and of course craigslist.

Best bang for the buck mod wise is +4 timing, improves low end and revs a little quicker mainly and a timing plate is pretty cheap, The rest really depends what you wanna do, you can mill your stock head like .030 over to bump comp or just get a cool head, get good reeds, better carbs likes 28 pwk, run a better intake with pods or just an open airbox. Bigger bore helps some overall, porting can REALLY help...so on and so forth.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks the the long response! New reeds, exhaust, and different carb I can see. But several people say screwin with the timing and a bigger bore can make the life not as long and can make it unreliable. Those are very important things in my opinion. Ive heard a lot of great things about toomey, but I'm almost certain I'll get fmf. Just not sure whether fatty or gnarly is better. I cleaned the carbs today and it made it like a whole new machine in my book. Don't get me wrong the thing already has incredible power but is there a specific exhaust that will make the bottom end much more snappy AND give it a little more speed? Or is a full system mainly one or the other?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

The gnarly is a little more of a trail pipe with more low end, the fatty has more overall power specially up top, same with the fmf SST, toomey t-5 is also a good choice of a pipe. Any mods will effect your reliability but nothing drastic at all. these things will last a long time for a 2 stroke with proper maintenance. I wouldnt sweat things like that so much as far as bolt ons go. Internal work is what can really change your reliability and its still not that bad at all if done right.

Most pipes will improve power overall but some pipes will shine in a certain area whether it be low-mid, mid-top. Depends on what your comparing to, the factory pipes are a low end pipe for sure. A good all around pipe like fmf, toomey,dmc, procircuit etc etc, open airbox, good reeds and +4 timing will make it pretty damn snappy even down low.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well an aftermarket pipe will help with power either way won't it? The stock pipe is a bottom end pipe but an aftermarket one will give a noticeable difference won't it? And what exactly do you mean down low? Low rpm? Or engine bottom end?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i meant low end power, and yes a pipe wakes up a banshee alot, big power gain.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I've been doin my homework. And as far as sound I absolutely love the FMF SST headers with the powercore2 silencers. Pretty good power and/or speed to be gained with those? Listen to this baby. Seems pretty ballsy too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19NbzZFl_14

Old 03-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Yea they are good pipes SST pipes rev out a little better, fattys are more of an overall pipe but the SST pipes will put out a little more power up top. youd be happy if you got those. they are similar to t-5s. Best sounding banshee pipes imo are the DMC 916s followed by toomey t-5 and tr-6.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

First thing would be new pipes for sure. stock pipes have a small power band. maybe get a boost bottle to make it a little more snappy it wont help a lot but their cheap. I just got one and I can tell a little difference