Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Replaced Starter Solenoid...Now What ?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced Starter Solenoid...Now What ?

OK, I got the new soleoid the other day...disconnected the battery and installed the new part. Hooked the battery back up... nothing. This time EXTREME nothing. At least the with old solenoid I would have electrical accessories (winch, dash, lights, etc) ....now nothing.

I hooked the old solenoid back up and had lights, accessories etc, just no start. I contacted the store I got the solenoid from and they did their best to make sure I'm satisfied... turns out, the one they sent me had reverse polarity ? They sent me the correct solenoid ad it arrived QUICK...had it in 2 days. I hooked the new one up...still no start. All accessories work, just no start. I know the starter motor works, tested it and id does turn over strong. Battery is newer and fully charged.

What do I try next ? I'm thinking it has to be the push-start switch ? I 'm pretty sure it has to be smething between the start button and that solenoid... Is there a neutral safety switch, maybe ?

What do ya think ?

Thanks !

Scott

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Electrical problems can be tricky to diagnose unless you have a multi-meter, or a 12 volt automotive-style test light would help.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Electrical problems can be tricky to diagnose unless you have a multi-meter, or a 12 volt automotive-style test light would help.
This electrical problem is a tricky beast...

Yesterday, I tried starting it up with the ripcord... Started fine, just a pain in the neck. After it ran a couple minutes, I shut it down. turned off the ignition and turned back on... electric start fired right up ! Did a few more electric starts, tooled around the neighborhood and put it back in the garage. Now the electric start stopped working again.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Scott

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sounds like a loose connection, trace all the wires for a loose connection.

We had to pull start a pig of a 660 Grizzly all weekend over a loose battery terminal connection.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

OK...Apparently I'm dumb.

I finally noticed a post that the brake lever needed to be applied fot the bike to start. Since I bought my Grizzly, it always started WITHOUT the brake lever applied...and it always started. For some reason, it must me tempermental. Well, ****... I went outside, turned the ignition on, sat on the bike, APPLIED THE BRAKE LEVER, and it started. Now don't I feel like a shaved-tail louie ?

Thanks for all your help everyone ! Bright side is, I can run all the possible faulty connections with my eyes closed, all the connections are now immaculate, and I have a spare solenoid for my onboard tool kit.

Lessons learned !

Scott

Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I learnt that also, the only way to start it without a brake is in neutral on mine.

Glad you got it.