Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Blaster shifting

Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Blaster shifting

I'm probably gonna buy a yamaha blaster. I'm not new to quads but i am to 2 stroke quads. From what i've read you don't need to lay off the throttle to upshift but still pull the clutch in. But i'm clueless with downshifting. I've read you should pull the clutch, shift down, and apparently stay on the throttle. I'd be more comfortable laying off the throttle then down shifting. If I need to i'll stay on the gas but i'd be more comfortable laying off the gas when i downshift. And I also read you shouldn't coast.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Riding a 2 stroke is almost the same as riding a 4 stroke. The only real difference is you don't want to hold a 2 stroke throttle wide open for long periods of time like you can on a 4 stroke. When in 6th gear and maxxed out, I always back off the throttle for about 5 seconds after holding it wide open for about 10-15 seconds.

As for the clutch, you can lay on the throttle while upshifting, but you don't have to. This is a normal practice for racing. The same goes for downshifting. I would normally let off the throttle completely to downshift because normally you want to slow down during downshifting.

Also it's not absolutely manditory to use the clutch while up shifting. I'm not sure if it does any damage or not but don't sweat it if you happen to miss the clutch while shifting. Lots of times racers don't even use the clutch to shift, especially drag racers with air shifters.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let off the throttle when upshifting or downshifting. This is even more important of you aren't using the clutch. Power on while shifting will eventually leave you with broken transmission parts.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Range Rover

For everyday riding, I'd say use that clutch for both ways and get off the gas just like you were riding any other quad with a clutch. No real difference actually.
Now racing is a whole different story and usually people do things that are not always the BEST for the bike, but will give them a bit of an edge.
As for throttle in a drag I pin it and just slap the clutch while shifting, but I always use the clutch to reduce chances for broken parts in the tranny. (this is on a banshee which needs the rpms) This makes for an exciting ride as you can imagine... When it catches the next gear turning lots of rpm's its like you were fired out of a cannon.... Awesome experience actually that I truly miss from my old banshee.....

Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Pro Rider

Let off to down shift, i usually give a quick blip of the throttle on a downshift depending what im doing, blasters and banshees both are 6 speeds and can be speed shifted pretty easily but it can be hard on it without any mods, at least mod your shift star and its not so bad, i have a few trans mods on my banshee and i can go wide open through all 6 gears and not let off and its smooth as butter, very quick this way, hold on haha.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks