Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to quads, Yamaha Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to quads, Yamaha Blaster

Hey guys, I am completely new to the world of quads and while my friends have been great help they can not answer every question I have. I know you guys are probbaly sick of questions like these and for that I apoligize, but any assitance or tips you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

So here are some of my questions
-Downshifting Gears feels weird, almost like the entire quad jerks and decreases velocity for a second, I have never drove a quad before yesterday so I do not know if this is normal or not. Is it fine?

-I have not had to mix oil yet but I will today, Should I continue running the same kind of oil the previous owner did, One of my friends swears its needed to continue engine efficency while the other says it doesnt matter. And if it is not avaliable in my area while one change hurt?

-There is a lever by the choke that says things like "On, Off, Res, Fuel," Oddly the quad was running while it was in the "Off Position" Why?

-Matinence is also among my concerns, The quad starts first kick, how can I keep it this way?

-And lastly (Sorry I know there was alot) All of my friends agree that I am not running the machine hard enough, they said it is not healthy for a two-stroke to be taken easy after it gets completly warmed up and that I run risk of fouling plugs like no other. Im afraid of the throttle but im trying to keep this in as good condition as I can. Any tips?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide as I am completly blind in this area.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Blueblur, welcome to the forums. I am going to give you a ton of info. I hope you stick around to learn and in time help others.

2) This is normal while downshifting. The engine is forced to turn at a higher rpm while in a lower gear to maintain ground speed. This effect is diminished if your ground speed is low enough(using brakes for example.)

3) A stock Blaster has auto injection, but it is common for people to disable this. Since you are stating you need to mix, I will assume this has been disabled. No, it does not matter much as long as you are using similar quality pre mix oils. Some oils smell better than others when burned, so you may want to switch just for this. There is nothing like the smell of a 2 stroke in the morning!

4) That lever by the choke is called a fuel petcock. It opens either a higher(on) or the lower(reserve) pathway for fuel to flow to the carb. Yes it is normal for the machine to run even if this is in the off position as the engine draws from the carbs float bowl. Once the bowl runs dry the engine will race and then quit. The racing is due to a lean condition and it is best to avoid this if possible.

5) For maintenance, keep the air filter clean. Always use quality pre mix oil and gearbox oil. Check for loose bolts every ride or two at most. Use fresh gas. Don't store the machine with mud and crud all over it. Don't use a pressure washer near anything that has a bearing or articulates. Rejet for cold and/or hot weather when necessary. Eventually a 2 stroke needs a new rings, possibly a piston and resurfacing of the jug. When it gets hard to start, those last few things likely need attention if nothing else has changed.

6) Yes, many 2 strokes appreciate the occasional full throttle speed pass to keep the plug from fouling. What is more important is that you ride within your ability and comfort level. Plugs are cheap and easy to replace, broken bones not so much, lol. If you are having a tough time fouling plugs, you may be able to go to a "hotter" plug temporarily until you feel more comfy with the throttle. Blasters for the most part are pretty tame though. I bet you won't have an issue if she is properly jetted.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

What he said^^

Also if the engine runs for more than a few minutes with the petcock in the "off" position, this would mean that the petcock is bad and will not shut off........not really big deal. If you want to replace it, they are cheap and easy to replace.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys so much, either today or tommorow I am getting to go on my first trail and I cant wait.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
Thank you guys so much, either today or tommorow I am getting to go on my first trail and I cant wait.
I hope your arms are in good shape and your comfortable with the brakes. We go on 25-40 mile trail rides out here and your arms will really take a beating when you are trying to throw that machine around. Granted the Blaster is a smaller light weight bike compared to my LT250R but all in all they are a blast and trails is where it at IMO.