Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Will a MOTO4 rear diff fit a Timberwolf?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a MOTO4 rear diff fit a Timberwolf?

Hello all, I am in need of a rear differential for a 1999 Timberwolf 4x4. I checked Ebay and found the prices outrageous! So I started looking for interchanges...you guys know what I'm saying for sure.

My question is this; will a MOTO4 rear diff work with the Timberwolf? It looks pretty darn close.

I tried a 2000 Bear Tracker and it doesn't fit up to the axle tube or the swingarm. I could modify (read cut and weld) the mounting flanges and make it work but I don't know if the gear ratios are the same or different and what problems that would cause.

Looking forward to getting back into this hobby and really need some advice here.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Tech_Guy
Hello all, I am in need of a rear differential for a 1999 Timberwolf 4x4. I checked Ebay and found the prices outrageous! So I started looking for interchanges...you guys know what I'm saying for sure.

My question is this; will a MOTO4 rear diff work with the Timberwolf? It looks pretty darn close.

I tried a 2000 Bear Tracker and it doesn't fit up to the axle tube or the swingarm. I could modify (read cut and weld) the mounting flanges and make it work but I don't know if the gear ratios are the same or different and what problems that would cause.

Looking forward to getting back into this hobby and really need some advice here.

Thanks
Im having the same problem. I belive the diff cover from the timberwolf will fit a diff from a moto 4. The only difference i can see between the two is the moto 4 is clocked wrong. Swap covers and it fixes it. I haven't tried it yet but tje moto 4 has cheaper used diff prices

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jmitchell13
Im having the same problem. I belive the diff cover from the timberwolf will fit a diff from a moto 4. The only difference i can see between the two is the moto 4 is clocked wrong. Swap covers and it fixes it. I haven't tried it yet but tje moto 4 has cheaper used diff prices
Let me know if it fits....as it is, I bought a new one and have made sure I changed the diff lube regularly. I'm in need of of a new transfer case for this little beast. They (Timberwolves) were so under rated, I can keep up with anything I ride with. My buddies make fun of me until I ride on by laughing at them and they all have Brute forces or Rincons....lol

Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Tech_Guy
Let me know if it fits....as it is, I bought a new one and have made sure I changed the diff lube regularly. I'm in need of of a new transfer case for this little beast. They (Timberwolves) were so under rated, I can keep up with anything I ride with. My buddies make fun of me until I ride on by laughing at them and they all have Brute forces or Rincons....lol
I just bought a timberwolf for 50 bucks. Not in terrible shape. Just been sitting 2 years. The problem i see with the moto 4 is its clackex different than the timberwolf. But im noticing the Warriors,bear trackers, ect are all clocked tje same. All of them look as of swapping the covers off the timberwolf will work. Hoping i can find a atv junkyard i can play around in and figure out what will work. This seems like a common problem

Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Go to this site Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse it has every year and make with part #s and just compare until you find a match.

I'm sure Yamaha uses the same rear ends in different models.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Go to this site Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse it has every year and make with part #s and just compare until you find a match.

I'm sure Yamaha uses the same rear ends in different models.
Update 7/4/16.
No they will not swap. 1 problem is they are clocked in different spots. Meaning once bolted to the axle housing the yoke will not line up with the drive shaft. Thats the easy fix by simply swapping the covers from one to the other. Not that everything lines up...the the pre disk brake timberwolf has a smaller driveshaft housing/tube/swingarm. Whatever you want to call it. Even the post disk brake models have the bigger parts. I have a pre disk with a blowed diff and a post disk with a blown motor. Picked them both up for 150 bucks. Swapping motors at the moment. Will update with any issues and pictures in the upcoming days

Old 09-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not to horn in on this thread but what kind of lube to you put in the Differential?
How often do you change?
Also when you change the oil does it drain the oil cooler ?
Tks Chuck