Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ignition Key ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key ?

Hi all...I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

I have been having a bad habit of losing a key for my '05 Grizzly 660... either on vacation, in the garage somewhere...or just plain misplacing it. Is there any way to get a couple extra keys made ? I know it's pretty cheap just to buy a new ignition switch on Ebay with a couple keys, but I've done this twice already.

Also, I did add brightly colored keychains and still lost a key while I was out of town and it never did turn up. I'd just put one on with my car keys (which I never seem to loose...knock on wood) but I hate having a bunch of keys rattling whil I'm riding, and that key is just plain uncomfortable to keep in my pocket.

Thanks !

Scott

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Try your local locksmith. The blanks themselves may be a little higher priced than a normal key, but it's still cheaper than a new ignition.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

our local locksmith charged me $15 for a key and then $3 more for a spare. when i strore quads, keys are put up on the key rack in the house. when we go out to play, they're in the TH, when riding, i tether them to the handlebars with a neck lanyard. i've never lost an atv key. that first one i talked about was a used one i bought and it didn't come with a key. organization is the key. no pun intended.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
our local locksmith charged me $15 for a key and then $3 more for a spare. when i strore quads, keys are put up on the key rack in the house. when we go out to play, they're in the TH, when riding, i tether them to the handlebars with a neck lanyard. i've never lost an atv key. that first one i talked about was a used one i bought and it didn't come with a key. organization is the key. no pun intended.
Thanks !

There's a local locksmith here in town, I'll give it a shot. I actually did pretty good last week in organizing keys in the trailer (made sure that as soon as the keys were out of whatever vehicle was being used, they went on a ledge right inside the trailer)...
However, I somehow lost my cellphone at the airfield while racing back to my trailer to put the awning up (huge storm was rolling in). Somehow in the mad dash back to the airfield to look for my phone I grabbed the extra ATV key while the other was in the ignition (both are identical with same keyring)... I must have put it in my pocket or forgot it on fender or something. Crisis seems to creat the dropsies for me !

P.S. The phone was picked up by a good samaritan about 60 seconds after it fell out of my backpack and returned the next morning. That's one problem solved ! lol

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I lost a key for my Honda 600XL ,I just dropped the ignition off at a key smith and he made one up.
The places where I ride and store my ATV and sleds I just never take the key out.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

just trying to make a joke here and have some fun, but your nickname ain't "butterfingers" is it? no offense my friend, it appears you have a hard time with the dropsies. must be a curse. i hope all goes well. like TLC said, i also pulled the ignition out, dropped it off at the locksmith and within the hour, keys were made.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

glad you got your phone back.