Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Washed Big Bear now it wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed Big Bear now it wont stay running

Took my Big Bear 400 2wd out for a 10+ mile ride yesterday. No beating just a trail ride. Today I started it up no problem, shot across the street to the car wash, shut it down and washed it on low pressure with occasional high pressure blasts. When I restarted it it would idle but when i give it gas it stalls. If I choked it, it revved high but giving it gas kills it. I thought it might be water in the fuel so i limped it out on the trail to try to push the moisture out and got 1 or 2 quick bursts out of her but then bogged down and sputtered. I limped it back home and got on the internet. I tried di-electric grease on the plug (it was dry inside) checked the air cleaner (still looks new from recent changing and dry). I have washed it with a garden hose before with no issue. I have been through some big mud puddles with no ill effects. Other then letting it sit for a day (Which is what i am doing now).... any ideas?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

last night pulled drain plug on muffler and tipped back machine and she seemed bone dry (maybe i few TINY drops in plug so small couldnt even shake them out). Just tried to start it this afternoon and same thing...will idle rough... almost rhythmatic surging...high then low, where it never did that before. Give it gas and she starts to rev then wants to bog and die. This is my first 4 wheeler so I am stumped. ANY info or ideas will be appreciated.
thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

high pressure washers will shove that water into places you'd never think it'd go. even the "low" pressure setting will do it. now garden hose pressure is like rain or a mud puddle, it will normally splash and shower. hmmm.....most generally, boggind down is a lack of gasoline flow vs air intake. the ratio has titled to have more air vs gasoline. so the float bowl has no water in it? sometimes a pressure washer can shove water past the vented gas cap or in the case of my grizzly, the gas cap vent hose. look for a place where water/solids can enter into the gasoline stream.. sounds like the main jet has a little plugged/clogged contaminant in there restricting flow. and your coil pack is dry?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

The day b4 my last ride i "fixed" a degraded fuel gauge by j b welding a nickel over the holes and didnt have a drop of fuel leak out. nevertheless i bought some dry gas and put 1/4 of bottle to a full tank. hmmm.....most generally, boggind down is a lack of gasoline flow vs air intake. the ratio has titled to have more air vs gasoline.
when I just started it, again, when i hold the choke she revvs high with no sputtering and when I hold my hand over the intake and restrict the air i can give it full throttle. I do not know much about atvs but i am not afraid to get my hands dirty with the right "tutoring" as this is how I work on my vehicles.
As far as the coil pack... if it is connected to the spark plug wires other end, looks sealed and dry. i am beginning to think it is carb related. what should my next step be?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

wow, i apologize for typing too fast and mis-spelling a couple of words. my bad. titled, as opposed to tilted. yikes, i'm embarrased. so, how much can you manually restrict the air so as to maintain full throttle without bogging?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

check your intake boot. make sure it didn't crack/rip under the water pressure spray.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster i really appreciate your suggestions. I dont believe it is the intake boot as when i put my hand over the intake, both boots, the one to the air filter and the one from the air filter to the motor collapse and the machine stalls. As far as how much... roughly half the intake is covered when i can give it full throttle. I will check tomorrow with a flash light just to do a visual on the boots. Again Thanks for the help.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it runs better with the choke on, it's lack of fuel. time to open up the carb and check for restrictions in the main jet.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

just an update... rained all day yesterday, wasn't able to do anything. Today will hopefully be dry. I am beginning to think it may have been extremely coincidental with the washing and not starting. Pulling the carb will be a brand new experience for me so any tips on that impending experience would be well noted. I have a few things to check before leaving my better judgement at the door. I m getting the tools ready though.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

youtube has plenty of videos on how to pull, clean, and reinstall carbs. here's on for example:

Quick Reply: Washed Big Bear now it wont stay running