Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha 550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha 550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT

What are the pros and cons to these 2 machines?

Thanks
Rick

Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Cannot comment on the Can-Am...I have a 2011 Grizzly 550 non EPS that I bought new. I took it into the shop after a few months and had the valves adjusted...that was the last time it has seen the shop. I keep up on oil changes/diff fluid changes/new spark plug every season/air cleaner kept clean/and I clean the quad up after every ride. It crossed over 3600 miles this weekend. I have replaced the rear cvs...but I did the work myself (just shy of 600 bucks to do both cvs in both axles) and just put front wheel bearings in for the first time (3500 miles). If I were to sell it and go buy another quad right now, I would got back with another grizzly without hesitation (but probably the 700). I assume you are considering buying one of these two quads?? Any other questions about the 550 just ask!!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

650 XT is as fast or faster than any utility other than Can-Am 800s and 1000s, Polaris 850, and Arctic Cat 1000. XT is a great package with brush guards, winch and more. Haven't had any issues with mine at about 1000 miles. Most guys I know with them love them. I've enjoyed mine. It seems like the best power and economy mix for my riding in New England with rocks, steep hills, deep mud and water holes, and snow.

Yamaha is a great quad too. Just haven't been on one in a long time. Most guys I know with them love them.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

MudSlinger At 3600 miles you must do a lot of riding!!

I am looking at the 550 with EPS. It would be used for plowing snow, IceFishing and Trail riding.

I currently have a 2002 Big Bear and it has been bullet proof Just your regular maintenance and fill with gas,
However it is not a great trail machine as it is a little slow!! I can run with the lads in the bush but when we hit a road or some open land they are gone.

I live in Barrie Ontario and there is getting to be some great trails in our area So this is the main reason to update.

Thanks
Rick

Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Moose

BRP has definitely got a great package with the 650XT

That is the reason I am looking at this Bike, By the time I add a winch and upgrade the tires on the Grizzly It is as much $ or more$.

Have you had any issues with your frame? A friend cracked his on a 800.

However BRP had it replaced with no issues and have now made mods.

He also had brake pads replaced under warranty

Thanks
Rick

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the can-am also comes with a 2yr bumper to bumper warranty if you buy it new (well, around here they do anyway) my last 2 new outlanders came with 2yr B.E.S.T. warranty on top of the standard 6 month warranty- total of 2.5yrs. a great deal especially with the xt package (rims, handguards, 3000lb warn winch, front & rear bumpers) I've owned 9 can-am's, rolled them, slammed them, jumped them, sunk them and crashed them (many of those rides with moose above )- never had a single problem with the spar chassis cracking or failing- and I don't use skid plates; don't really need'em with 15" of GC.
I've ridden a few grizzly's- personally, not a fan of the Yamaha grizz. not looking to flame- just my opinion after riding dozens of other models

Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Beergut

Not flaming at all!! Your opinion is what I was asking for, and I thank you.

BRP warranty, B.E.S.T. is great, I have a Evinrude E-Tech outboard that has 5 years, So far never used it. I have been very impressed with the E-Tech and that is another reason I am looking at the Can Am

Can you be more specific in what you did not like about the Grizzly?

Thanks
Rick

Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by RickOnt
Beergut

Not flaming at all!! Your opinion is what I was asking for, and I thank you.

BRP warranty, B.E.S.T. is great, I have a Evinrude E-Tech outboard that has 5 years, So far never used it. I have been very impressed with the E-Tech and that is another reason I am looking at the Can Am

Can you be more specific in what you did not like about the Grizzly?

Thanks
Rick
out of all the atv's I've ridden, the grizz 700 has the softest, laziest suspension; nose-dives badly in corners, especially under aggressive riding. The guy's grizz that I was riding felt the same way and ended up spending $3k on aftermarket shocks and susp. mods to make it right. I also don't like the way they look (personal preference) They do have nice soft seats though.
I also don't care much for single cylinder thumper engines- I've gotten used to the smoothness of a v-twin cylinder engine like in the can-am 650, 800 & 1000- the brute force 750 v-twin is a powerhouse also along with the Polaris sportsman & xp in-line engines. Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda don't currently make twin engines in their 4x4 atv line-up; and Honda for some reason refuses to use the industry standard OHC engine instead of their antiquated OHV engine which is grossly under powdered and still does not offer a front locking diff or low gear on their flagship 4x4 atv, the Rincon 680. I also love the CVT clutch found on every 4x4 atv except the Honda, which uses an automatic / manual shifting transmission. CVT's give smooth, uninterrupted power delivery from idle to wot- and are just as reliable as the Honda's clutch;I don't care what anybody says, Honda is no more reliable than any other atv on the market.

the can-am rotax 650 engine has either more or the same hp as the other brands 700-800 engines. hell- the rotax 500 in the outlander has more hp than Honda's 680!

but can-am let me down this year also a bit- the 2013 can-am 1000 G2 suspension is as soft and lazy in the corners as the grizzly- although the fix for BRP's soft springs was simply adding a set of $30 1.5" spacers in the springs- and it felt like the G1 suspension again- and now I'm as happy as ever with it.
I think you'll love the rotax 650 in the can-am, it's a great, well balanced engine that's capable of keeping up with the 800's on just about any trail out there. I had an outlander 650xt for a while and it was an amazing ride- you will never feel under-powdered or under sized ever- it'll keep you smiling

pic of my 09 650xt (Rotax V-twin)...

Attached Thumbnails Yamaha  550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT-img_3171.jpg   Yamaha  550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT-img_3169.jpg   Yamaha  550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT-img_3170.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Beergut

Thanks for all the info,
Much Appreciated
Rick

PS What Make/Model of tires are on the '09 650?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by RickOnt
Beergut

Thanks for all the info,
Much Appreciated
Rick

PS What Make/Model of tires are on the '09 650?

those are Pit Bull Growlers 26" on a 12" rim.
a little expensive- but excellent tires for mud, rock and dirt.
A very similar but less expensive tire is the ITP Swamp Lite series- great tires as well.

(ITP Swamp Lite)

(pitbull growlers)

Quick Reply: Yamaha 550 Grizzly and the Can Am 650 XT