Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Replace Drive Shaft Boot Yamaha Bruin 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Drive Shaft Boot Yamaha Bruin 350

Hello all. Back in 2007 I had to replace the rear oil seal on my 2004 Bruin 2wd 350. Well, the drive shaft boot now has a hole worn in it and I need to replace it. I know how to remove the rear end and get the boot off. Where can I find the boot??? I have search the online parts in the drive shaft, middle gear, etc... categories and cannot find the boot anywhere. Can someone lend some advise??

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the input and for finding the part. I appreciate the assistance. In addition, since the boot has a hole in it, it is certainly possible water and dirt, etc... got into the boot. ANything I should check/replace in anticipation of the possible damage that could have been caused by the water? While I have it apart, I am going to go ahead and replace the rear oil seal at the back side of the transmission to the drive shaft. ANything else??

Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never had mine apart put I presume the drive shaft's U-joint in under that boot. Just clean any dirt that got in and grease the u-joint if it has a grease fitting. Grease the drive shaft spline that slips in the U-joints yoke as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, can you tell me how hard it us to replace the boot on the rear drive shaft of your Bruin/Grizzly? My Bruin 350 has a hole in the boot too. I think the u joint may be fine.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

It really is pretty simple. Disconnect your brake lines. Disconnect the vent tube to the rear end. Pull cotter pin from lower connection on shock. Remove bolts on two support struts to the frame. Slide rear-end out.... Remove the old boot, put on the new boot and repeat the process. You may find it easier to perform if you remove the foot-guards first. It makes getting at the strut bolts much easier. Note, this is REALLY a time when you need an ATV jack. If you don't have one (like me...) then you can either rent one or simply use a floor jack with a couple of 2x4s. I would suggest you get a couple of replacement items.... Number one, get a replacement cotter pin for the lower connection of the shock. #2, get a couple of hose clamps/straps to attach the boot. That stupid tension spring that comes with it it terrible.

While you have it apart, take some time to look at the U-Joint and at the rear end. Lube it good. Depending on any damage done because of the hole in the boot, you may... MAY need to replace the seals on the rear end or the rear oil seal. So... while you have it apart, look at those areas really good.

Have fun. It only took me about an hour and a half to remove, replace and put back together. I am by no means a seasoned mechanic. But I do enjoy saving money

Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,
So I have to do the same thing:
Question: what should I grease when to take the boot off? Are there any seals or rings on the drive side of the axel that should be replaced?
I'm only changing my boot and really don't want to have to remove anything more than necessary.
Thank you for the help