Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha tri-moto 200 ticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha tri-moto 200 ticking

I just picked this up, it runs good but has one hell of an annoying tick to it. i have looked into the valve's but seems that they are set right.
Could the head be worn or could i have something loose else where i know how bad noise can travel.
Also the front light is barely even on high or low beam new bulb.

Advice please

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This could possibly be the cam chain slack making the noise.The tensioner is similar to my old XS650 that I owned that you have to adjust manually. Pull the big cap off the tensioner body,loosen the large lock nut,then you can turn the inner adjuster in to take up any slack. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

Ill have to look into that tonight - thanks!
Also what would cause the light to be so dim it does turn on but has almost no power to it, bad ground?? there is no battery on this so.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You didn't say what year model. 83 and 84 were just pull start and had just a simple magneto generator for the ignition and lights. 85 Tri-moto had a battery and regulator/rectifier.If you have the 85 and a dead or no battery could be the problem on the lights,but normally they'd brighten as you increased the throttle. Other that that,I'd still check the wiring.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer

It is just a pull start so i believe its a 83 or 84.
Now the problem is i got ride of the ticking noise and can see the chain is all but shot the adjustment is so far in you cant use the lock nut if i turn it out ticking comes back almost instantly.
But now it wont idle and is hard to start (have to hold throttle open a little) - once its running you can drive for hours i just better not let it die. I have messed with the idle screw for at least an hour and the pilot nothing seems to make a difference, it will idle with the idle screw in all the way but has to be 1.5-2k rpm and if i turn it down half a turn its already to much.
The carb has been cleaned and blew air through all the passage's i have also had to change the intake boot(well made one) and have sprayed starting fluid all around it with no change - so i don't believe i have a leak anymore