Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Racing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing??

I want to try a race next spring like on a mx track, so i wanted to know what i would need to do it. The reason i am doing next spring is because i'm 15 and don't have a daily job but i do work once a month so i am thinking by spring i should have enough to get all the gear, i Know you need a helmet and i am going to get a chest protector but i don't know if you need the knee shines or neck brace and etc, i have Gloves,helmet(Dot rated) and a jersey, i plan on getting a set of Nerf bars this month (DG). The thing is i have a yamaha warrior 350 and from what i have read i would be in the 450 class and if that is true i would imagine i would have to beat the crap out of my bike to keep up with them.( That is why my previous Q's have been how to make the bike faster, because i don't want to get a bigger bike because i'm not even sure if i would like racing.) So if you can help out thanks and if you know any tips on racing or anything that would be helpful. oh i plan on getting Maxxis Razer tires for the front and the back.

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

That would not be fair for you to race in the 450 class, but it's the same way in my area, they put all the ATV's in 1 class because there are not enough ATV's signed up for different classes. The biggest problem with the Warrior racing MX (besides being much slower than the 450's) is the stock suspension. It's not as forgiving as the 450 shocks are, which is going to beat you to death and tire you out more quickly. I'm not saying it can't be done and i'm not saying you can't win, there are Raptor 350's that race in the 450 class here. But you're starting with a huge disadvantage, so to win or even keep up, you will have to ride the **** outa that warrior and launch it just right and land it right. If the track is small/short It may help to put a 12 tooth sprocket on the front to give you more get-up-and-go out of the corners.

For the tires, you may want to look into the Holeshot GNCC or another tire than the Razer's, depending on the track. The problem with the Razers are they're heavy, which will slow you down. On the downside the GNCC's won't slide as good. The Holeshot GNCC's 20x10x9 rears hook like a *****, and are very light for a 6 ply tire, which will help prevent punctures over a 2 or 4 ply. a lot of racers run 2 ply tires to help save weight and have less rotating mass.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

If it's an AMA race be sure and make sure that you bring extra entry fee money so that you can register with the AMA and get yourself an AMA number so that you will be legal to race. Also go over the rules before the race and check to make sure that you have all the required safety equipment like a tether switch, boots, number plates in the required positions on your quad, etc.

The best advice that I would give anyone wanting to start racing is to get in shape and spend between 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day training and practice riding. If your not used to racing on a track and the different sections and jumps that they have you'll get arm pump and winded probably a couple of laps in. Also get used to how to control your quad in the air and use your body and the throttle to steer and slide it around the track.

I would save up my money and invest in a 450 class quad, but if you race the Warrior and want to try and be competitive you should invest heavily in the suspension and tires. Get a set of front and rear shocks that are valved for you, adjust the footpeg height and position so that you are comfortable, get a set of handlebars that fit you,invest in a good set of grips, invest in a steering dampner, invest in a good rear axle because the stock one will bend or break, invest in a good set of front upper and lower control arms, invest in a good braking system, invest in a seat with a good seat with a gripper cover, invest in some strong rims that won't bend easily when people run into you and invest in a set of tires with a tread pattern and compound suited to the track your going to race on. Also be sure and remove your headlights and taillight because most tracks won't let you race with them because if you wreck and break the glass or plastic it becomes a track hazzard.

Be sure and make your Warrior as light as possible by removing everything that you don't need for racing or safety related. In the class that I race in most 450 race quads weigh around 350 lbs and put out around 55-60 rwhp and are raced by 175-190 lbs riders. For your first race I would just try and have fun and use it as a learning experience IMO