Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha breeze- won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha breeze- won't start

Hi,

I have a late 90's Yamaha Breeze that we use for our ranch.

Recently the starter clutch went out, and when I got the replacement part today, I put it in. It was a very simple procedure, replacing the clutch.

However, now it won't start. It cranks over just fine, and sounds like it might want to start- but it does't.

The strange thing is the engine gets warm (And exhaust) after a few seconds of cranking.

I took the carb off, and cleaned it out- it was actually pristine in the carb bowl. I sprayed compressed air through all of the jets/ passages.

Using starting fluid, it does the exact same thing it does with the carb. Acts like it might want to start, then goes back to cranking.

I put in a new spark plug- no change.

I verified valve timing by removing the plugs on the right hand side, aligning it with the "T" and verifying the dot on the cam sprocket is straight up. It was. Because it seems like it jumped time. But the timing is perfect.

I had the quad tipped on it's right and left sides while changing the starter clutch. This is the only thing that changed. It ran fine when the starter clutch went out.

The spark is a good, strong blue one.

The only thing left is the valves, or possibly something in the transmission catching and preventing the engine from starting... I can't crank it in anything but neutral.

Please help, I am running out of reasons why it won't start.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so i discovered the problem. The left hand crankshaft is connected to a belt via a variable speed drive mechanism. When the engine is turned over, the belt turns as well. I disconnected the belt, and it started.

I put the belt back on and now it doesn't start. Am I missing something here? Is there a spacer that needs to go between the variable speed drive halves? I have a sleeve that goes between them...

Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, so I got to the real issue. There is a fairly thick spacer/washer between the two parts of the one- way starter clutch. When I got the aftermarket starter clutch in the mail, it did not have the spacer- I assumed it didn't need it. Well, after putting it between the starter clutch and putting the cover back on temporarily, it started right up.

If you are referring to this diagram, it is part number ten (WASHER,PLATE
90201-163F8-00):

Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.

Also, if anyone is having trouble stretching the transmission band, you can pinch and squeeze it together, forcing the two tapered plates in the rear open, so that it will give you some slack to put the forward plates back on the crankshaft.

With the exception of this confusion, it was painfully easy to replace the starter clutch, and as a matter of fact, the old starter clutch was very dusty, even after blowing on it, it seems to be working fine, again. So perhaps just cleaning it and oiling it would have done the trick, instead of buying a new one. Before, we would have to tap on it with a rock to get it to start, and eventually even that stopped working.

There is an air cleaner that sort of keeps the air that cools the transmission clean, and it is merely a small piece of foam that doesn't really do much. Mine was filthy and clogged, so keep them clean. The air filter is located on the front of the ATV, under the black plastic.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default almost same problem with starter clutch

I am having the same problem, the starter clutch was going bad, it would start while cold but once it got hot if you shut it off it would not engage to re-start the bike. Ok I put in the new starter clutch, I used the old #10 washer from the old clutch since the new one did not come with one. I got a new flywheel which did not have the bearing in it, but I was able to get a bearing by using the number on the old one. It all went back together no issues. Then when I tried to start it just cranks and cranks. once it try to start the one way clutch is not disengaging. Does anyone have any ideas? It is not horrible to take apart but there is alot to it I had to take all the motor mounts loose so I could get to all the screws, not looking forward to doing it again to put it back together and have the same issue.