Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Electrical Issues 95 Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issues 95 Wolverine

I have searched a bit on here and can't find my problem. My wolverine was not starting consistently. It would take about 10 presses on the start button. Nothing would happen and then suddenly it would start. Figured it was either the starter or the solenoid. I took off the relay/solenoid and on the bench found it to do the same thing. So I figured it was a bad relay. I kept trying to find a new relay but could not. One day I tried bridging across the relay connections with a screwdriver and saw a big spark but it did not start. Was that bad?

So I threw the old relay back on and the neutral light, oil light would not come on at all. I finally found a new relay and put the new relay in and the lights still don't come on.

Seems like I blew a fuse somewhere but I don't know where to look besides on the relay.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I'm not sure about the Wolverine, but the Warriors had a fuse under the left rear fender near the starter solenoid. It's the old glass-style fuse. The Warriors and Wolverines are very similar.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK. I worked on it again tonight. When I turn on the ignition the oil and neutral light do NOT come on. And the start button does nothing. However, I bridged across the solenoid/relay with a big piece of copper wire and it started right up. Again, none of the oil, neutral lights show up. The ignition was on and when I turned it off the engine shut off. Somewhere in the ignition has got to be a blown fuse or something. The fuse on the relay/solenoid is OK. Anywhere else to look? And what do they look like?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Look at this photo of electrical system number 22 is an relay..I dont see another fuse in system other than the one you mention on the solenid

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I found the part that I think is #22. How do I test it to see if it is the cause of my problems?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

get volt meter an check conunity both direction if reading both ways or open aalso check it may have diode in relay I cant remember if read one way an not the other diode in relay. when you are crossing over solenoid you are bypassing soleniod you are putting the 2 big wire into one wire an sending power straight to starter an thats why it work that way

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

The part that I took out has 4 spades on it. There is only 1 pair of blades that show any connection and they have 100 ohms resistance between them.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

As I said before, when I hook everything up and bridge across the solenoid, I can get the gal to fire up. Tonight I noticed that the neutral light comes on when I bridge the solenoid. Don't know what that means, if anything...

Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Just a guess, but the main power feed for the ignition, lights etc, should be on the battery side of the solenoid. I bet you have it connected to the starter side The Yam solenoid has B for battery on one big terminal post and S or M for starter motor on the other.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues 95 Wolverine