Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Bansheevs vs Yamaha YFZ 450

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Bansheevs vs Yamaha YFZ 450

I can't decide on which one to get. Will ride mostly in dirt, trails and some sand.

2000 - 2006 Banshee
Pro's -
1.Love the look w/ the fenders on. Do not like the shaved fender look. Love the dual headers w/ mufflers.
2.Lightning fast
3.Sounds awesome with the right exhaust combo.
4.Lot's of modifications.

Con's -
1. Mix oil in the gas

2. Does not have a reverse gear.

Yamaha YFZ 450
Pro's -
1. Low maintenance - gas-n-go
2. 4 strokes- less maintenance, can beat them up.
3. Longer lasting durability w/ a 4 stroke.

Con's-
1. The look just doesn't appeal to me like the Banshee.
2. Not as fast as a 2 stroke.

Need some opinions on these quads. Thanks.

Price on both of them are in my price range.

What do you guys think about the Raptor 660 or 700R?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ridden both of them? If not, ride them. These two are completely different animals. Banshees do not have the bottom end or the smooth predictable power of a 450 4-stroke. If you have ridden two stokes before, then you know that they are ridden differently (I hear modern 2 wheeled 2 strokes have much broader power now). The 350 twin has its meat in the midrange and likes to be revved. Great for the sand dunes, not so great for trails. They are both great bikes, but I believe the 450 is more versatile. If wide open riding is your thing, then you may be better off with the Banshee. You also mentioned a Raptor 660 or 700. The 700's are my preference. Later models are fuel injected. A 450 will beat a 700 off the line, but a 700 will catch up. Again, ride all the machines that you are interested in. Only then will you find which one is right for you. You don't want to make a purchase that you will regret later. It took me a year to finally settle on a TRX700xx.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem with that is you always don't have the opportunity to test drive each one. At least I know I will buy a Yamaha.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood. But think of the money you are going to spend and ask yourself if it is worth the time to make the effort. As I said, It took me a full year before making my choice.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

My vote is for the Raptor 700 and here's why (just my opinion from my experiences):

The Banshee is an awesome machine but the suspension is not as good as today's quads and they can be a handful on the tight trails if you start modding the motor. A modded motor's powerband comes on strong and it's either all or nothing - that is, just idling along or holding on for dear life! The prices for Banshee's that I see are $2000-4000, you can buy a nice Raptor or 450 for $3000-4000. All my buddies used to trail ride modded Banshees (pre-2001 before the 660 came out), and we would take bets before each ride to see who was going to be pulled out of the woods with a strap, these were nice Banshees, too.

The YFZ450 is also an awesome machine but it likes to be revved high to get the most power out of it. All that high revving = more maintenance installing new rings and adjusting valves every so often. In reality, all machines should have this work done every so often but from what I see, it never gets done until there is a problem. I didn't like the gearing on the ones that I have ridden, the gear spacing was too close together for my tastes, when I shifted gears it was just like I was still in the same gear.

I would stay away from the Raptor 660, not that it's a bad machine, but the Raptor 700 is a MUCH better machine, mostly in the handling department.

I like the 700 because I'm a bigger guy (6'-1" and 225lbs) and like the room and comfort of the 700. The power is smooth for trail riding and it doesn't mind idling along on trails, and the power is there when you need it. The reverse also comes in handy, too.

In a perfect world, I would have all 4 machines and then some, but it's not, so between the 4 I would choose the 700.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pretty much agree with all the above advice. A couple of things.

One, the YFZ does not have reverse either. This is a non issue for me, but I know a lot of guys want it.

Two, If you are counting on "4 stroke reliability" so you can "beat it up," just go with the 700. The YFZ is a very tough machine, but gas and go is a sure recipe for $2000.00+ annual rebuild parties. They need frequent valve adjustments, frequent oil changes, and those short skirt, high comp pistons just don't last as long as a milder tune trail motor like the 700. Go price the replacement cost of 5 Ti valves alone, serious sticker shock! You can abuse a YFZ and it will come back begging for more but at some point you have to appease the gods of maintenance. That point comes sooner than on something like a 700.

Three, all of the machines mentioned are capable of hyper warp speed on trails. Banshee holds a strong edge in sand when properly outfitted, but I can't imagine not having a huge smile on my face at the dunes on any of these machines. YFZ handles and jumps/lands much better than the others. 700/660 is a better all day cruiser, trail couch but still has a pedigree in speed.

Oh, and Yamaha Rules!!!