Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new guy with moto4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with moto4 questions

hey guys im new here and just got a Yamaha moto 4. From the M in the 10th place on the vin its a 91.

I have the engine number that starts with 2HT and can't figure out the size. the guy said it was a 225 but I saw 1991's only had 250's.

I hooked up a battery and hit the starter which spins but doesn't engage or crank the motor.

I took the cover off by the shifter and it has a pully that you'd find on recoil lawn mower engines. I didn't have a pull start cord handy so I turned it by hand until I couldn't turn anymore. once I pulled the plug I tired again and I had no problems turning it. that should mean the motors not locked up and it has compression, correct?

what should I do to check why the starter isn't cranking the engine?

once I find the type of motor I can order a carb kit or just clean and put this one back together. which is better to do?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

also can I order the pull start cover and cord? what part number would I need? or is that a wait til I figure out engine size?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The startng issue could be the "one-way starter clutch" is bad.

You can google "Yamaha atv VIN decoder" and there are free websights that will help you figure out your model #.

There are also websites that have OEM Microfiche's with all of your parts, part #'s and prices and you can order parts right off of the microfiche. I usually use ronniesmailorder.com, but there are others out there like Bike Bandit, etc, etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your help. Is there a how to on replacing the one way clutch? The only thing that ronnie site shows is its a 250. Is there any other way to find out for sure? I need the engine size for the parts.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone help me with this?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

225's were until '88. If your Moto 4 is correctly identified as a '91, it would be either 250 or 350. The Moto 4 was available with either engine that year.

Regarding a How-To for starter sprag clutch replacement, you'll most likely just have to pony up for a manual. It would include specs and instruction for both engines of your model year.

As for identifying the engine itself, run your quad's VIN through a VIN decoder online, as Raptor450 said.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats good to know. So its most likely a 250. I tried the vin decoder search but the motoverse one is always down.

Would you recommend the cylmer manual or try to find the Yamaha one?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

I'll be. Motoverse was down when I bought my '86 Moto 4 a month ago. At that time I thought it was just temporary. I guess somebody forgot to pay the light bill.

I've used VINcheck and Autocheck for street-legal vehicles in the past. Maybe they can shed some light on your quad, at least the engine size.

You can't beat a Factory Service Manual. At times you can find them on eBay, but you have to keep searching for them. Clymer's manuals aren't terrible though, they're just not quite as detailed as the ones the Factory-Trained techs use.

I picked up a FSM on CD a while ago, then took it to my local print shop and had it printed and bound so I wouldn't have to scroll through the CD manual with greasy fingers all over my laptop.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you! I did some looking while I was outside today. Its been to damn cold out! Anyway I found my vin wasnt an m it was an h. So I have an 1987 YFM225T. Whats the t stand for? Trail?

Also if anyone stumbles across this post and is looking for a vin decoder I found one.

Http://www.decodethis.com/Decoder

Hope that can help someone.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by caphawk
my vin wasnt an m it was an h. So I have an 1987 YFM225T. Whats the t stand for? Trail?
That helps to denote the year of the bike model itself, if one doesn't have the benefit of the VIN. My '86 is a YFM225S, S for 1986.

Suzuki does the same thing. I have a '94 DR350SER. S for Street-legal, E for electric-start, and R for 1994. Although not imported into the USA after 1999, the 2000 models are DR350SEX. Name:  naughty.gif
Views: 993
Size:  343 Bytes

Regarding the carb kit mentioned in your initial post, you may be able to get away with a good cleaning if the gaskets, o-rings, and inlet valve aren't too old and crispy. Maybe yours had been reworked recently and those parts are still serviceable.

You can soak a carb in straight Pine-Sol for a few days without worrying about the plastic and rubber parts being eaten up, like they would be with regular carburetor parts cleaner. And it makes your shop smell great!

My Moto 4's carb needed more than just a cleaning and rebuild though. Bleh.

Quick Reply: new guy with moto4 questions