Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Bruin 250 No Neutral Light / No Electric Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Bruin 250 No Neutral Light / No Electric Start

Our Bruin decided it doesn't like it's electric start anymore. We can pull start it just fine but if we try and use the electric start nothing happens. Also, we've noticed that the neutral light will not come on even if in neutral. Now if the pull start the bike and get it running, the neutral light will light up.

Just changed the battery, checked the starter relay, neutral safety switch, CDI with known good parts and went through all wires to see if there is a split, etc. The fuses are good as well.

Can't figure this out.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Do the lights work with the ignition switched on but engine not running? If not, either the main fuse on the solenoid has blown or you have connected the solenoid backwards, binding post B for battery lead, M for lead to starter motor. A broken wire between the solenoid fuse and the regulator will have the same effect.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

The lights do not work if the engine is not running. They will only come on once we pull start the bike. We've verified the connections on the solenoid are correct and have replaced the fuse with 2 new ones to ensure it wasn't a fuse issue. After taking all the plastics off and visually inspecting all of the wires, we did not see anything that was crimped or broken.

I guess the next step is to go through each wire individually and volt test them?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Once the engine is running the regulator provides power to the ignition switch, so the fault must be between the regulator and battery.

Engine stopped, get a high wattage test bulb, not a multimeter, and check the power to the solenoid fuse, if that is OK check the power to the regulator. If you don’t get a bright light at the positive wire to the regulator, and can’t find the break in the wire, just piggy back a new wire from the fuse to the regulator.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by merryman
Do the lights work with the ignition switched on but engine not running? If not, either the main fuse on the solenoid has blown or you have connected the solenoid backwards, binding post B for battery lead, M for lead to starter motor. A broken wire between the solenoid fuse and the regulator will have the same effect.

Long shot here on an Justold thread but I'm desperate for help! Just wondering, I have no neutral/
​​​​​gear lights on a Arctic cat, this thing won't pull or electric start...I have tried tracking the wires the best I can and have replaced some corroded plugs and a few other things with no luck at all. In this you asked if he had headlights when the key was turned over and he didn't...but I do have headlights. What could possibly be wrong?